DC Green Infrastructure Projects Assistant
Type of Job
May 13, 2022
About the job
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose vision is clean
streams and rivers flowing through resilient landscapes, cared for by the people who live, work, and play in
the Chesapeake Bay watershed; and whose mission is to bring together communities, companies, and
conservationists to improve our lands and waters. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in
Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C., and Richmond, VA. Staff in the DC office focus on
implementing our programs (green infrastructure, forests, agriculture, stewardship & engagement) within
the District of Columbia and across the DC metropolitan region.
The DC Green Infrastructure Projects Assistant job is a full-time entry level position that will assist in
programmatic work, including field work within and around DC. The position will involve completion of
percolation tests for green infrastructure projects and work with the District of Columbia’s RiverSmart
Homes Landscaping program. RiverSmart Homes is a residential reduced-cost stormwater retention
program that installs GSI practices to capture and infiltrate stormwater runoff on properties to keep it out of
the sewer systems and local waterways. The Alliance assists the District of Columbia Department of Energy
& Environment (DOEE) to oversee and coordinate the installation of several stormwater retention practices
as a part of their RiverSmart programs. Training will be provided on green stormwater infrastructure (GSI)
practices and project implementation responsibilities. This role requires engaging community members
and the ability to form strong relationships, and work in partnership with a variety of audiences is essential.
The Alliance seeks a candidate with the ability to work independently in a timely manner, as well as
cooperatively in a group setting. Field work, administrative responsibilities, customer service, written
communications, and networking will be required.
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Provide timely administrative and homeowner/partner/funder communication support across multiple projects.
- Support project implementation, which may include assisting with the review of project designs, associated application forms, and compiling and updating spreadsheets and other paperwork.
- Maintain project tracking systems and cohesive file organization in Google Drive and Dropbox to track project data and progress.
- Assist with data collection and reporting.
- Conduct field work including percolation tests involving transportation of test equipment and some physical labor (digging and ability to lift 25 pounds).
- Coordinate utility marking through Miss Utility, track status of requests, and communicate with homeowners to schedule appointments, explain percolation test procedures, and assist the homeowners with completion.
- Help to facilitate education and outreach efforts for Alliance program areas and assist in the implementation of the Ambassadors community program for the Anacostia watershed and throughout the District of Columbia, requiring community level field outreach activities such as community meetings, door-to-door canvassing, and relationship building. The Ambassador Program seeks individuals to serve as neighborhood champions to assist in the continued education, partnership, and support of environmental work and practices in their communities.
- Help promote the RiverSmart Maintenance Assistance Program through outreach to homeowners and resource development.
- Assist with content delivery across various media outlets such as newsletter additions, blog posts, news articles, social media posts, and short blurbs.
- As appropriate, participate in internal teams catered toward planning broader organization-wide programmatic work.
- Manage office administrative tasks and other tasks as assigned.
- Travel throughout Washington, DC and surrounding areas will be necessary to complete duties.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, ecology, natural resources, conservation landscaping, or other relevant field, or successful completion of a GSI training program.
- Quick learner, well-organized, possess strong attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Software proficiency required: Google Drive Suite, Microsoft Office; Adobe.
- Ability to work in the field, comfortable working individually, with groups, and outdoors.
- Ability to work efficiently while remote, independently on multiple projects, as well as part of a team.
- A valid driver's license and use of a personal vehicle with the ability to transport equipment within and around DC. The Alliance reimburses for personal vehicle use and public transportation used for programmatic work.
- Basic understanding of environmental issues related to local waterways and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Knowledge of residential green stormwater infrastructure (GSI), such as rain gardens, rain barrels, permeable pavers, and conservation landscaping is a plus.
Supervision: The DC Green Infrastructure Projects Assistant will report directly to the Green Infrastructure
Hours and Location: The DC Green Infrastructure Projects Assistant will be based at the Alliance’s
Washington DC Office. Some night and weekend work may be required. Occasional travel throughout the
Chesapeake Bay watershed is needed at times. The position advertised is full-time (40 hours per week).
The Alliance will require the successful applicant to submit proof of vaccination and booster against
COVID-19 (or proof of a qualifying federal exemption) prior to the candidate's first day as an Alliance
employee. This is not required at time of application.
Salary, Benefits, and Commitment to Diversity: $42,500+, commensurate with experience. Competitive
benefits are available. Visit the Alliance's website to learn more about our benefits, compensation, and
commitment to diversity as it relates to this position.
Application: Please email your cover letter, résumé, and list of 2 professional references (including the skills
in which they may reference) to email@example.com no later than Monday, June 6, 2022.
Indicate “DC Green Infrastructure Projects Assistant” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries,