Data and Operations Assistant
Type of Job
$52,000-$64,480 annual salary ($25 to $31 per hour)
May 9, 2022
About the job
About the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
For 30 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, community health, and people’s rights. Our community-based grantmaking approach has earned national recognition for building grassroots power for conservation and social justice causes, and our New Voices Are Rising youth leadership program trains Bay Area high school students to step forward as the next generation of environmental justice leaders.
The Data and Operations Assistant plays a vital role in maintaining the Rose Foundation’s data management systems, income processing, and IT systems, which span across all departments. The Data and Operations Assistant is a key member of the operations team, supervised by the Operations Director and working closely with our programs and operations staff to support data integrity and positive donor and funder relationships. This position is a great opportunity for someone who is eager to learn the ins and outs of nonprofit operations and is ready to grow their nonprofit career. They will get first-hand training on key platforms, including Salesforce.
Who Should Apply
They care deeply about the planet, people, social justice, and community equity. They are eager to learn about nonprofit operations and to grow their skillsets across development, operations, and financial functions. They are comfortable managing backbone administrative functions, which is crucial to the success of the organization. They are detail-oriented, highly organized, and possess capable interpersonal, communication, and computer skills. They are comfortable working with data and learning a variety of software applications. They enjoy playing a crucial supporting role in a small, highly collaborative team, but are also comfortable working independently and taking ownership of their projects.
We value a diverse team whose lived experiences inform their relationship to social justice and community equity work. We encourage BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) folks to apply, as well as candidates who identify as women, femme, non-binary, or LGBTQ+. We encourage candidates who are comfortable conversing in Spanish, or another language commonly spoken in California communities of color, to apply.
Roles and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Data and Operations Assistant include, but are not limited to, the following:
Data Management (40%)
- Maintain our Salesforce donor and contact database, including entering donations, grants, pledges, and prospects, and entering and updating contacts to ensure the accuracy of our database.
- Process daily accounting entries in our accounting software (AccountEdge).
- Regularly extract and enter donor and donation information from third party platforms such as Network for Good, YourCause.com and Workplace Giving into our data tracking systems (AccountEdge and Salesforce).
- Prepare financial reports in Excel as directed by the Finance Director.
- Maintain campaigns, reports, and mailing lists within the database. Produce campaign, donor/donation/grant, and other reports as needed and requested.
- Maintain electronic files (and hard copy as needed) related to events, grants received, individual donors and donations, and fiscally sponsored projects.
- Maintain regular reconciliation between data management systems (including Salesforce, AccountEdge, Foundant, and email marketing) to ensure accuracy and consistency of information.
- Conduct already established monthly and quarterly updates, healthchecks, and backups for our data management systems.
Development and Communications Support (30%)
- Coordinate with the Development Director to produce, send, and track timely and accurate donation acknowledgement letters and emailed receipts for grant payments, individual donations, and specialized sources, including legal settlements. Tailor letters as appropriate for specific gifts and donors, and review work for grammatical accuracy and tone.
- Coordinate with the Development team to produce mailing and emailing lists for appeal campaigns, newsletters, event promotion, and more.
IT and Systems Support (20%)
- Support staff in troubleshooting day-to-day IT issues, including connecting staff with our external IT consulting firm as needed.
- Support onboarding of new hires by setting up new computers and accounts, and support offboarding transitioning staff by closing necessary accounts and securing any Rose Foundation hardware.
- Manage the issuing and retrieval of Rose Foundation hardware.
- Maintain records of Rose Foundation IT systems and processes.
Participate in and Strengthen Organizational Initiatives (10%)
- Support all-hands-on-deck projects, like our Film Fest and Grantee Convening.
- Plan, lead, and/or contribute to activities that develop our team as a whole.
- Promote the organizational mission, and join in the stewardship of organizational well-being.
- Minimum 2-years' experience in a relevant office administration, data management, or finance role.
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to work under multiple priorities and deadlines with a collaborative problem-solving approach.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Applications (especially Excel and Word) and be comfortable learning a variety of new software applications.
- Experience using online data management systems, preferably Salesforce.
- Comfort with MacOS and ability to quickly learn basic IT systems and procedures.
- Customer service mindset: responsive, patient, and engaging with colleagues and constituents.
- Commitment to environmental conservation, environmental justice, social equity, and building a strong grassroots activist base.
- Be willing to occasionally work some evenings and weekend; able to work at a standard desk for periods of 2 hours or more and lift up to 25 pounds.
- Two-or four-year college degree
Salary, Hours, and Benefits
The Data and Operations Assistant is a full-time, non-exempt, at-will position. Starting pay is in the range of $52,000-$64,480 annual salary ($25 to $31 per hour) depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include fully paid platinum-level health insurance (medical/dental/vision) for employee and dependents; sick leave which exceeds California standards; generous vacation and paid holidays; Flexible Spending Accounts; and 401k with employer contribution and match; plus, sabbatical and professional development opportunities. General hours are 9:30am-5:30pm, Monday through Friday, but occasional evening or weekend hours may be required.
During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Rose staff is partially remote, with the option of working from the office if fully vaccinated against covid. This role will require some in-office activities, with regular days at the Rose office. We continue to monitor local and national public health guidelines and update our office/work protocols accordingly. The Rose Foundation will work with the hired candidate to ensure proper equipment setup and connectivity. Post-pandemic, we continue to envision a hybrid work environment that emphasizes flexibility and accommodates workstyles.
Our office is in a commuter-friendly location five blocks from Lake Merritt BART; located near Jack London Amtrak, AC Transit including the 72R, 12, and Broadway Free Shuttle, and Oakland’s network of bike lanes.
The Rose Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.