Type of Job
Jul 21, 2023
About the job
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
The Climate Reality Project seeks an experienced, passionate, and strategic Creative Director to infuse creativity across our communications, programmatic, and campaign work, as well as lead our global anti-greenwashing communications campaign. In addition to managing, mentoring, and championing the creative team, they will serve as a member of Climate Reality’s Senior Management Team, and report to the SVP Communications & Digital Strategy. In close collaboration with the SVP, Digital Director, and VP of Science & Solutions, they will oversee and drive the creative strategy of the organization.
This is a hybrid position, currently expected to work from Climate Reality’s downtown DC office at least two days per week. The salary for the role is $139,000 per year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as the organization’s storyteller by overseeing and guiding the creative effort of the organization, infusing creativity across our campaigns and programs.
- Manage the creative team, which includes narrative, design, video, and campaign project management.
- Work closely with department directors, branch managers, executive team, Chair and his team to ensure continuity and support across programs.
- Develop and own departmental budget.
- Manage, mentor, and champion creative department staff. Engage external partners, vendors, and consultants as needed for additional expertise or reach.
- Oversee the creative strategy, including working closely across teams to ensure the creative vision is represented in all of our work.
- Drive our global anti-greenwashing campaign, and manage the creative elements of our other global campaigns.
- Oversee the day-to-day team operations, including supporting rapid response actions as well as keeping long-term projects and campaigns moving.
- Develop and manage strategic changes to improve team capacity.
- Coordinate and lead engagement with senior leadership to present and get buy-in on creative approach in support of the organization’s strategy and goals.
- Drive and ensure consistent creative quality and creative discipline in the organization’s outward-facing materials and content (social media materials, website content, printed materials, videos, etc.).
- Support and contribute to the ongoing improvement of our operations and enrichment of our culture, for example by serving on ad hoc or ongoing work groups, assisting with the onboarding and training of colleagues, and participating in efforts to assess, refine, and strengthen our culture and practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent communicator, storyteller, problem solver, and creative and strategic thinker, able to keep track of many moving parts with competing deadlines.
- A team player and people person who builds strong relationships and has the skills to resolve conflict while still maintaining important and effective relationships.
- Proven ability to turn ideas into actionable and measurable plans.
- Ability to give and receive feedback well.
- Strong understanding of the opportunities and limits of common design tools (including video production and editing tools)
- Track record of working effectively across multiple differences (race, gender, age, language, orientation, urban/rural, etc.).
- Care deeply about both climate change and environmental justice and want to work to solve the climate crisis and create a healthy and equitable future for all.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer required
- This role will require some domestic and international travel
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree—or equivalent experience.
- At least ten years experience working in a creative capacity for an advocacy organization, campaign, and/or consulting environment.
- At least five to seven years experience building and managing a team.
- The creative team manages organization-wide narrative, branding, and design. Highly qualified candidates will have professional experience in most, if not all, of these areas.
- Interest and some experience working with international audiences and content desired.