Coordinator, Digital Advocacy
Type of Job
Apr 21, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
The National Wildlife Federation believes that in order to save wildlife and ourselves, we need to ensure that everyone in America has clean air and water, safe communities, easy and equitable access to the daily benefits of nature, and protection from the ravages of climate change. These basic needs, equally necessary and urgent for all people, are foundational to bringing the conservation movement and ethos into the 21st century.
A sister organization of the National Wildlife Federation, the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization working to raise the visibility of key conservation issues with voters and elected officials. Through grassroots actions and focused legislative and political campaigns, the Action Fund advocates for solutions to protect, restore, and connect wildlife habitat; transform wildlife conservation; and connect Americans with wildlife. With an army of engaged individuals committed to acting in support of environmental justice and conservation priorities, we can help ensure people and wildlife thrive.
To support the missions of these two organizations, we are seeking a Digital Advocacy Coordinator to join our team. As the Digital Advocacy Coordinator, you will join your colleagues in Digital Engagement in partnering with program, policy, and Action Fund teams in developing and curating a robust digital presence to support the political, advocacy, and civic engagement efforts of the National Wildlife Federation and its sister organization, the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund. You'll work collaboratively with teams across the two organizations to create email, social media, and web content that is engaging, on-brand, and on-target, while listening to and representing the voices of our members, supporters, partners, and followers. You'll also support the advocacy and civic engagement goals for both organizations, uncovering opportunities, overcoming challenges, and fueling success across multiple engagement platforms.
This position reports to the Director of Digital Engagement on the Digital Engagement team at the National Wildlife Federation, working primarily out of the National Advocacy Center in Washington, D.C. (due to COVID-19 all NWF employees are working remotely until further notice). Approximately 50% of your time and focus will support projects designated and overseen by the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund’s Executive Director.
In this role you will:
- Develop and support integrated advocacy, civic engagement, and digital organizing campaigns utilizing email, social media, blogs, and website content to support the National Wildlife Federation and the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund.
- Support political and civic engagement projects as overseen by the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund’s Executive Director.
- Work as part of a collaborative team and with other teams across the National Wildlife Federation and Action fund to develop and implement effective engagement strategies and organizing campaigns across a range of issues and conservation priorities.
- Serve as a knowledgeable and accessible resource about digital engagement and organizing strategies and campaigns, helping our teams and partners achieve desired outcomes while further building the Federation’s and the Action Fund’s brand and profile.
- Analyze performance metrics and monitor progress toward goals, fine-tuning strategies as necessary. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaign strategies and use these insights to inform continuous improvement. Promote data-driven decision making.
- Endeavor to stay abreast of innovative digital and civic engagement campaign methodologies and strategies, further your knowledge of industry trends and best practices, and foster a solid understanding of the National Wildlife Federation’s and Action Fund’s mission and values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Highschool diploma required.
- 2+ years of related experience.
- Passion for the preservation and protection of wildlife and wild places is desirable.
- Experience working in a member organization, in environmental conservation, or on political campaigns a plus.
- Superior communications and political savvy, and excellent time management and organization skills. Creative thinking. Problem solving. Attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, coupled with strong initiative and willingness to take on projects and run with them.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required. Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS is desirable, as is familiarity with various CRM databases and reporting tools. Experience with digital engagement systems including Engaging Networks, Convio, BSD Tools, Salsa, MailChimp, Constant Contact, or similar would be ideal.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation and the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s and NWFAF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's and NWFAF’s mission
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary for this position is $50,000.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.