Type of Job
$120,000 - $126,000
May 20, 2022
About the job
The Controller is responsible for the cash receipts process, the restricted grant process, and month-end close process for Defenders of Wildlife. The Controller ensures optimum compliance with generally accepted accounting principles in completion of these areas of responsibility; the efficient and effective use of internal controls; and regular application of best practices. The Controller has supervisory responsibilities over three accounting staff members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Own the integrity of cash receipts data from the CRM Database and the import of this data into the Accounting Database
- Oversee the recording of all third-party cash receipts and in-house cash receipts in the Accounting Database
- Ensure proper application of accounting principles for cash receipts representing split interest agreements
- Work closely with the Marketing department on all matters impacting the accounting and reconciliation of cash receipts from the CRM Database to the Accounting Database
- Own the operations and integrity of the Restricted Grant/Project Management Database used to track and manage grant spending activity over the life cycle of the grant
- Ensure proper accounting of restricted grants in accordance with FAS 116
- Ensure proper accounting for all government grants in accordance with relevant OMB circulars
- Oversee accounting for all restricted grants including allocation of overhead
- Ensure timely reconciliation of all restricted grants, working with Development department and Program departments and Development to address any over or underspending on grants
- Conduct monthly restricted grant meetings with Development department and Program departments to review status of all restricted grants
- Work closely with Development department and Program departments to develop the annual Board Approved budgets for all restricted grants
- Responsible for the coordination of the month-end close process
- Responsible for proper completion of monthly investment account reconciliations
- Responsible for proper completion of additional balance sheet account reconciliations related to the cash receipts and restricted grants processes including accounts receivable (grants /bequests/ misc.), deferred revenue, etc.
- Manage the communication and reporting related to month-end close to all relevant staff
- Responsible for the coordination of the year-end audit process and annual Form 990 process, including communicating with the external auditors, distributing audit requests to relevant Finance staff and ensuring that all audit requests are fulfilled
- Work closely with the Marketing Department and Senior Manager, Compliance on annual data collection from the Marketing department related to cause marketing partners, commercial co-ventures, professional fundraisers, etc.
- Work closely with Senior Manager, Compliance to ensure consistent reporting of all fiscal year-end data across the Audited Financials, Form 990 and state solicitation registrations.
Leadership, Supervision and Coaching
- With the CFO, lead the Finance team in effective support of the Organizations’ Finance needs
- Communicate duties and responsibilities to direct report and monitor performance
- Provide regular coaching and counseling
- Prepare and deliver performance appraisals for direct reports
- Undertake special projects as assigned
- Continually identify and implement process improvements
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent
Experience: 10 years of relevant experience; 5 years supervisory experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for Controller
- CPA Certification preferred
- Experience in application of non-profit GAAP, including FAS 116 and FAS 117
- Experience in application of OMB circulars for Federal Grants/Awards
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Microsoft Dynamics SL/GP or similar accounting database experience a plus
- NetSuite OpenAir or similar project management database experience a plus
- Revolution Online or similar CRM database experience a plus
Visit www.defenders.org to apply.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Defenders requires employees who engage in in-person work activities, including business travel or onsite work, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An applicant (i) who is disabled or pregnant or who has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination or (ii) who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice may request an exemption from this vaccination policy. This determination will be made on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable law. Any medical information concerning an applicant's disability will be treated as a confidential medical record in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please be advised this position is non union-eligible.