Los Angeles, CA
Type of Job
$20.12 - $24.45
Aug 25, 2022
About the job
The Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority is recruiting for a Construction Secretary to assist the Chief of Construction, Construction Services Manager and the Construction Project Analyst with administrative tasks within the division.
Applications for this position are accepted online at https://www.calopps.org/mountains-recreation-conservation-authority/job-20285145. Please contact us at email@example.com you need an accommodation in the recruitment process. Learn more about joining the MRCA team at https://mrca.ca.gov/about/employment/.
This position requires a highly motivated, responsible, organized, problem-solver and self-starter individual who can handle an array of tasks, has excellent written and verbal communication skills, has good judgement, and works independently or as part of a team. The individual must be able to come up with multiple solutions to any given problem, in areas that may be outside their expertise, and be willing to take on uncertain challenges.
This is a supportive role to the construction division with high use of various computer software, research, problem solving and communication skills for a person at a intermediate level. The work performed will support MRCA’s new construction operations, emergency projects, general improvements to parks, and other efforts related to public access, open space conservation, habitat restoration, and urban park development.
This position reports to the Chief of Construction. Assorted tasks may be supervised by the Construction Services Manager and the Construction Project Analyst.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Coordinate material orders, delivery and invoices.
- Maintain division files, including documentation of and authorization for expenses, project progress, contracts, project budgets, contacts, and correspondence.
- Order materials, equipment, and tools. Coordinate delivery/pick up of items.
- Prepare and maintain vendor and agency phone and mailing lists.
- Assist in planning and coordination of construction projects.
- Handle all Construction Division correspondence in a timely manner.
- Prepare written materials (reports, graphs, memos, etc.) for the Construction Division.
- Assist with MRCA’s Safety Program committee and write reports on safety issues for agency wide distribution.
- Assist with MRCA’s Labor Compliance Program.
- Conduct tailgate safety meetings biweekly with construction team.
- Assist with MRCA’s pesticide use program and reporting
- Maintain records of agency utilities.
- Maintain good habits of answering and responding to incoming telephone calls, correspondence, and when communicating and providing customer service to citizens who seek assistance.
- Maintain positive relationships with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations, and the public at large.
- Perform related duties as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, occasionally move about inside the office to access supplies and office machinery, frequently communicate and exchange information, review handwritten, electronic and facsimile documents, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery. The employee must occasionally move items weighing up to 20 pounds inside the office.
Required Hours and Location
Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week with some scheduling flexibility. Occasional overtime work on evenings or weekends upon prior approval by supervisor. The position will work out of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens but may be required to travel to various other locations. Offices at the River Center are spread among multiple buildings and floors.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED certificate. A.A. degree preferred.
- Two (2) years performing administrative duties.
- Experience in construction field preferred.
Training and Certification
- Must have a valid California driver’s license in good standing with a satisfactory driving record at the time of hire.
- Basic First Aid and CPR certification (or ability to complete within 6 months).
- Proficiency in Windows-based programs including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Proficiency in grammar, spelling and basic mathematics.
- Knowledge of operating standard office equipment.
- Office practices and procedures.
- Bilingual skills in English and another locally common language, such as Spanish, is desired.
- Prioritize varying tasks and projects and manage multiple projects at once.
- Work independently to handle multiple tasks under deadlines.
- Revise work approach and/or tactics to address changing conditions.
- Complete projects and follow oral and written directions.
- Quickly change tasks and focus.
- Learn technical material as needed.
- Innovate and improve processes.
- Learn new software including WordPerfect.
- Exercise discretion and sensitivity to confidential information.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills. Not required to be a native English speaker, but fluency in English is required.
- Bilingual in Spanish is highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of wok including the general public.
This job announcement is not intended to, and does not, create an employment contract of any kind and does not create any express or implied contractual obligations. Employment at MRCA is at-will without exception. The employee and MRCA may terminate employment at any time with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked at any time without notice.