Conservation Finance Coordinator
Boston or Sheffield, MA
Type of Job
Oct 16, 2023
About the job
Who We Are:
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
What We Can Achieve Together:
The Conservation Finance Coordinator provides administrative, project management, and other support by way of contracts, grants and award administration, database management, and other conservation-related support. This key position is responsible for managing and tracking contracts and grants out, coordinating awards and ensuring all process are following organizational, state, and federal standards. The Conservation Finance Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining conservation project processes and databases, managing information in TNC’s Legal Link application and coordinating annual tax exemptions payments for MA land holdings.
As part of the Operations team, this is a key colleague who works across various conservation teams to be responsible for creating efficiencies, tracking processes, reporting data and ensuring compliance.
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in being a part of a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented and excited about administrative and programmatic work that directly supports TNC’s conservation priorities. Specific responsibilities include:
- Contract & Grants Program Administration: As a TNC “Certified Contract Specialist”, partner with Massachusetts conservation, legal and finance staff to manage and track contracts and grants out, including managing RFPs for contract services. Ensure compliance with budget, legal and relevant TNC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and any federal or state requirements and partner with Business Unit Records Coordinator to ensure records are tracked and stored in compliance.
- Award Research and Administration: In partnership with conservation program managers, as well as grants and finance colleagues, support and coordinate public and private grants including drafting award budgets, coordinating due diligence, ensuring timely reporting and adherence to relevant TNC SOPs and any pertinent federal and/or state requirements. Identify and research grant funding opportunities to support conservation projects as time permits. May support private fundraising.
- Project Database Management: Maintain an up-to-date project database, coordinate conservation project package templates and manage project package and stewardship monitoring information in TNC’s Legal Link database, ensuring data accuracy and compliance. Generate project statistics and reports as needed.
- Tax Exemption Filing: Handle the process of filing for tax exemptions for The Nature Conservancy's land holdings in Massachusetts, ensuring compliance with state regulations.
- Conservation Support: May assist in strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting processes for conservation programs. As time allows, may provide administrative and project management support to conservation teams.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years related experience or equivalent combination;
- Experience coordinating administrative processes;
- Experience managing and tracking multiple projects concurrently;
- Experience generating reports and interpreting data;
- Experience organizing time and managing diverse activities to meet deadlines; and
- Experience working across teams and communicating with a wide range of people.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including: health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
Additional Job Information:
The Massachusetts Chapter believes in flexibility and as such, team members are working in a hybrid model. This position is full time and has the option of working remotely or from one of our TNC offices in Massachusetts: Boston or Sheffield, with the expectation of in-person workdays and meetings on a regular basis (including a minimum of 1x/month in the Boston office) By joining our Massachusetts team, you will become part of a group that is a force to be reckoned with, a force for nature, a force for people, and a force for our planet. Our team consists of a dedicated group who are leading the conservation effort on multiple fronts and who expertly bring strategy and action together.
The starting pay range for a candidate selected for this position is generally within the range of $57,000 – $70,000 for annual base salary. This range only applies to candidates whose country of employment is the USA. Where a successful candidate’s actual pay will fall within this range will be based on a variety of factors, including, for example, the candidate's location, qualifications, specific skills, and experience. Please note countries outside the USA would have a different pay range in the local currency based on the local labor market, and not tied to USA pay or ranges. Your geographic location will be confirmed during the recruitment.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.