Conservation Field Crew Member
Type of Job
$200/week, AmeriCorps Education Award Upon Completion, Housing and Food provided, Job Skills Training
Apr 12, 2022
About the job
Join American Conservation Experience and come see the country, explore your public lands, and do meaningful work to conserve the environment while supporting local communities. Participate in ACE's Crew program to experience your public lands in a whole new way while learning valuable job skills, making money towards education, and building lasting personal and professional connections. Start your journey with ACE today, and discover where your path will lead!
Members of our crew program can expect to get a wide range of experiences while working alongside land management professionals and ACE staff. Members learn new skills and do everything from building new trails, removing invasive plants, planting native plants, historic preservation, to fencing for wildlife and range management on public lands.
Member compensation and benefits offer exceptional value. This package includes free housing, program meals, industry recognized job skills training, project transportation, and puts $200 a week in your pocket. Members never have to worry about the headache of looking for temporary housing or the high cost of rent in the beautiful destinations ACE Crews are located in.
Start Date: Rolling start dates and various term lengths, ranging between 3-12 months. Primarily seeking candidates available in April, Ma, and June. Early consideration may also be given for future interest applicants, though it is recommended that you apply for start dates available on the site or 2-3 months prior to your first date available.
Additional benefit details include:
- $400 bi-weekly living stipend
- 3 High quality and nutritious meals daily while on project- accommodating your dietary needs and preferences
- Housing Accommodations on off days (May include ACE owned or rented housing, campgrounds, or AirBnBs depending on location)
- Tent and camp kitchen supplies while working in the field
- Transportation to and from worksites is provided by ACE
- Access to a variety of outdoor pro deals with gear companies with exclusive discounts on the spectrum of outdoor gear ranging from 30-50% off MSRP.
- Upon successful completion of a full term, AmeriCorps Members receive an additional Education Award of $3,172.50 (for 900 hours/24 weeks) or $1,678.57 (for 450 hours/12 weeks). This award can be used to pay education-related costs including tuition and payback of qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the education award.
- Comprehensive hands-on training that will prepare members to build a career in conservation. Training depends on the type of crew you join, but may include chainsaw, technical trail, herbicide, wilderness medical/first aid, Leave No Trace, outdoor leadership, backcountry skills and more, an average value of over $1,500.
- Eligible student loans can be placed into forbearance while serving in AmeriCorps with ACE
- Some Members are eligible for preferential hiring status following their term of service. Corps Members who serve a minimum of 640 total hours, with 120 of those hours on an eligible public land project, may qualify for Public Land Corps non-competitive hiring status when applying to future federal jobs.
ACE operates on a nontraditional schedule, from 4-to-8 days on projects in the field and then providing members 3-to-6 days off between each project to explore new places. We encourage a culture of active exploration, and members regularly spend their off time visiting new parks and outdoor destinations to go backpacking, rock climbing, camping, and enjoy local culture.
ACE is currently looking for enthusiastic young adults for crews across the country. Opportunities are currently available in California from state parks along the coast all the way into the High Sierras, to the high desert and forests of the Mountain West and Southwest, as well as the coastal environments of the Gulf Coast of Texas, to working throughout the Eastern US from the Smokies to the Atlantic Ocean.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing on this page
ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
For general application questions, contact: Michael Pietak - email@example.com
American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.