Type of Job
Aug 1, 2023
About the job
BNRC is seeking a full-time Conservation Associate to join its Conservation team. This position will further the land protection work of BNRC’s Land Conservation Program and support the achievement of the goals described in the Strategic Conservation Plan. By assisting with land acquisition, they will help BNRC expand existing reserves and The High Road trail route and strengthen the conservation program as we pursue landscape-scale conservation, farmland protection, climate resiliency, and the needs of communities in Berkshire County. The Conservation Associate works within the Conservation Department and reports to the Assistant Director of Land Conservation. They are primarily focused on assisting with the acquisition of properties, conservation restrictions, and easements. The Conservation Associate works collaboratively with other programs, as needed. To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Conservation Associate” in the subject line.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the work of the Land Conservation Program.
- Support the work that relates to building a Farmland Protection and Access Program.
- Meet with landowners, assess the conservation values of potential projects, and make recommendations to senior staff.
- Support the conservation staff in providing necessary information and resources to the BNRC Development Department to finance conservation projects.
- Draft Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for professional contractors, maps and communication materials as needed by the conservation staff.
- Respond to conservation inquiries and screen incoming requests from landowners for the conservation staff.
- Support the work of the conservation team in acquisition projects with landowners, prospective land donors, and partners by working with contractors on surveys, appraisals, and title reports.
- With oversight and training from conservation staff, draft conservation restrictions and trail easements.
- Prepare maps and project materials for grant applications.
- Support engagement efforts with municipal, public, and other conservation agencies and organizations and regional partners.
- Be an ambassador for BNRC with landowners, visitors, and stakeholders.
- Fulfill other assignments as needed, and at the direction of the Director and Assistant Director of Land Conservation, and the President.
Qualifications. The successful candidate may not have all these qualifications so if you have some, and/or demonstrably related experience, please go ahead and apply.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, varied projects and efforts at one time.
- Some knowledge of real estate transactions, preferably as related to land trust work.
- Empathetic and observant listener.
- Skilled at working collaboratively.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with web-based mapping software.
- Ability (or interest in learning) to read and interpret property deeds, maps, site plans and/or surveys.
- Microsoft Office proficiency.
- Familiarity with the Berkshire landscape and communities preferred.
- Two years of relevant professional experience preferred.
BNRC staff value open, candid, and respectful communication and favor teamwork. The ideal candidate will be a motivated individual with a passion for the mission of Berkshire Natural Resources Council. They will be familiar with the goals of land trust work.
Compensation: $40,000 to $50,000 per year depending on experience.
- Medical and dental coverage
- 19 days PTO (vacation/ personal) plus accrued sick time
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Flexible hours and hybrid remote/office work in consultation with supervisor
- 401(k) and employer contribution
- Travel reimbursement
- A great team of coworkers in a welcoming office setting in Lenox, Massachusetts
Start date: Flexible start in October 2023; resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Conservation Associate” in the subject line.
Please note: This position requires up-to-date Covid vaccination.