Community Outreach Coordinator
Type of Job
Sep 7, 2023
About the job
The Community Outreach Coordinator develops, enhances, and implements community driven programming aimed at fostering and growing community partnerships with a focus on partners in Wards 7 & 8. The Community Outreach Coordinator serves as a member of the Education Team, engaging both internal and external stakeholders, and ensuring educational and outreach outcomes promote Casey Trees’ mission of restoring, enhancing, and protecting the tree canopy of the nation’s capital. The incumbent is an experienced, enthusiastic, highly motivated individual that is dedicated to improving the urban natural environment and thrives working with diverse communities.
Compensation and Benefits:
$55,000-$60,000 annually with competitive benefits upon hire, including employer paid premiums for health, dental, vision insurance for employees, paid sick, vacation and holiday time and a 403(b) match after 6 months.
The following essential functions are representative of the Community Outreach Coordinator including, but not limited to:
- Foster relationships and develop champions with community-based organizations, faith leaders, elected officials, civic and community leaders that lead to positive engagement of the community and neighborhoods.
- Motivate and direct stakeholders to Casey Trees programing including tree plantings, educational classes, and volunteer opportunities.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to guide and inform programing opportunities in low canopied and historically marginalized areas of Washington, DC related to urban forestry
- Identify and train internal staff on programming needs when necessary as well as assist in creating and collaborating on requisite materials for volunteers and constituents
- Maintain sound relationships with District Agency partners including but not limited to the Urban Forestry Division, Departments of Parks and Recreation, Department of Energy & Environment, National Parks Service as well as other public and private stakeholders and participants of Casey Trees programs.
- Shapes CT’s community outreach strategy by attending community meetings, leveraging, and cultivating relationships with key community leaders, and increasing CT’s visibility within targeted communities
Data and Program Planning
- Maintain, improve, and analyze data about programs and constituents to aid in data-driven decision making.
- Assist in promoting upcoming programs and events. Coordinate with communications team on these efforts.
- Input information for events and coordinate with both internal and external staff on logistics
- Assist in setting programmatic and organizational strategies aimed at engaging communities with low canopy coverage to increase tree planting
- Partners with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure service excellence and operational effectiveness in Casey Trees’ grants, programs, events, and activities.
- Assist with volunteer management or participant engagement at plantings, education, outreach, and related events.
- Connects people to trees
- Other duties as assigned
The incumbent will not have any direct reports.
- The incumbent works in the office and mostly in community in the field.
- Tree planting equipment such as: shovel, pickaxe, wire cutters, mulch bags, hand pruners. Walkie-talkies, and other equipment for leading tree related activities.
- All CT employees may engage in tree planting/related activities in outdoor environments, year-round in the heat, cold and inclement weather. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to talk, hear, stand, sit, and walk. The incumbent is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. In the office environment, this position would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bending or standing on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a fulltime position, 40 hours a week. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed.
Travel is primarily local, although some out of the area travel and overnights may be expected.
- At least one year of professional and/or volunteer experience in community and stakeholder engagement, preferably in the environmental field
- Valid driver’s license; clean driving record
- A passion for and commitment to urban and community forestry and Casey Trees’ mission
- An understanding of equitable engagement, racial equity, and community partnership best practices
- A strong desire to actively engage historically marginalized populations in designing solutions to community issues
- Experience making data-driven decisions and understanding the importance of data management
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to present materials in multiple format settings and various audience sizes.
- Must be flexible to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse groups in the environmental or related field
- Experience working in Washington DC in the environmental and/or social services fields
- Prior volunteer experience in the environmental and/or social arena
To apply- go to this link:Job Information: Community Outreach Coordinator Job (appone.com)