Community Impact Specialist
Type of Job
$45,000 - $55,000
Apr 5, 2023
About the job
Do you have a passion for clean energy? Are you looking for a career with a growing organization where you can make a difference and have fun doing it? If so, keep reading!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We help people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
About the Position
The Community Impact Specialist provides integral support for our state programs and program directors by coordinating virtual and local activities. This is a full-time position in support of four of our state field programs in Florida, Virginia, Maryland, D.C. and Puerto Rico. Community Impact at Solar United Neighbors includes volunteer opportunities, advocacy, solar open houses, solar celebrations, national solar events, and more. You’ll report to the Director of Community Impact and, along with two fellow Community Impact Specialists, collaborate with many different staff members, work on new engagement program initiatives, and serve as the primary engagement program point of contact for the program directors and field staff in your group of states.
Job responsibilities include:
● Working with SUN’s distributed community outreach team and state-based field staff to identify, coordinate, and implement volunteer opportunities and outreach events to support the growth of our local programs and networks, expand the capacity of state-based field staff, and deepen relationships with local solar supporters.
● Coordinating all state-based virtual and in person community outreach activities, events, and opportunities, including social events, volunteer opportunities (including tabling, flyering, canvassing, digital outreach, and more), advocacy events, solar open houses, etc. In addition, you’ll support national events such as movie screenings, webinars, days of action, and volunteer training.
● Soliciting and crafting web-based success stories highlighting volunteers and solar homeowners in each state, and identifying opportunities to feature these solar stories and show appreciation for our volunteers.
● Working closely with state teams to actively support the coordination and implementation of local programming, driving progress toward each state program’s engagement goals.
● Managing regular communications with all state volunteer lists about upcoming opportunities as well as coordination and follow-up with individual volunteers about specific opportunities. Creation of event RSVP pages and other collateral needed for events, including printing and mailing resources to field staff, volunteers, and partners as needed.
● Ensuring up-to-date tracking of all volunteer activities and event attendance in Salesforce.
● Resident of Virginia, Maryland, D.C., Florida or Puerto Rico required.
● Ability to work remotely, with some regional travel.
● At least 2 years of experience required in program coordination, event planning, managing volunteers, working on campaigns, community or environmental organizing, canvassing, and/or direct outreach.
● Efficient multi-tasker who loves organization and is able to manage multiple short- and long-term projects concurrently.
● Self-motivated, excited to take on tasks, and willing to innovate rather than stick to the status quo.
● Willing to roll up your sleeves and get the job done — whether that means planning an event, developing new volunteer opportunities, fulfilling merchandise orders, or coming up with creative ways to recognize stellar volunteers.
● Ability to thrive in an environment where you can work independently but in conjunction with cross-functional teams.
● Ability to be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity.
● Excellent attention to detail.
● Comfortable using Gmail, Microsoft Office, and online database platforms such as Salesforce and WordPress.
● Spanish language fluency is highly preferred.
Why We Love SUN
● Health, vision, and dental insurance
● Generous paid leave policy
● 401(k) retirement account
● Professional development stipend
● Fun, remote work environment
● Flexible work hours
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter via our job board!
Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with a non-traditional education. We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply.