Community Giving Manager
Type of Job
Minimum of $54,000, with higher starting salary possible based on experience, and with promotional advancement opportunity possible over time
May 13, 2022
About the job
Help fuel the fight for public health and environmental justice! Join us to protect children’s health and end racial disparities in access to safe food and water, healthy homes, and products free from toxic chemicals and plastic pollution.
What you’ll do: The Community Giving Manager will manage all aspects of our annual fund development program (other than grants and major gifts), including annual and special fund appeals (via direct mail, online, and telephone), a sustainer program, recruitment of new small donors, conversion of supporters to donors, organizing of events, corporate giving, and some small grants. The successful candidate will have at least three years of directly relevant experience. You will report to the Development Director.
Who we’re looking for: A strong program manager who loves to run and maintain a finely-tuned fundraising machine. Someone who is very well-organized and planful, whose work plan includes clear tasks, timelines, and outcomes pursued with great attention to detail. For you, it’s all about maintaining a high quality, volume, and frequency of fundraising efforts to meet budget and grow revenues.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
Community Giving – Lead our annual fund development program, including:
· Regularly produce annual and special fund appeals delivered by mail, online, and phone
· Maintain and grow our sustainer program of automatic monthly donations
· Recruit new small donors through a variety of creative means
· Convert existing supporters including online activists to new donors
· Organize an annual fundraising event and house parties or other small events
· Manage volunteer or paid personal outreach to supplement fund appeals
· Produce and submit small grant applications as assigned
Planning & Analysis – Plan to grow our base of community giving (contributions < $1,000):
· Plan and justify annual revenue projections to assist in budget development
· Track, evaluate, and regularly report on progress against goals
· Develop and propose new strategies and plans for growing our grassroots donor base
· Assist the Development Director in strategic planning for fund development
Coordination & Team Work –
· As a Development Team member, work closely with others to meet and beat budget
· Coordinate with Communications Director, Digital Organizer, and Operations Manager
· Coordinate donor recruitment efforts with program and other staff and board members
· Engage other staff and volunteers in grassroots fundraising activities
· At least three years of directly relevant fund development experience
· Demonstrated success with raising money through fund appeals
· Must be an excellent writer and editor
· Very strong project management skills, with ability to advance multiple tasks in parallel
· Demonstrated ability to use and analyze metrics to report results & improve outcomes
· Must be tech savvy, including highly capable with CRM and spreadsheet software
· Proven ability to organize successful fundraising events
· Creative energy and ambition to try new approaches and grow our donor base
· Demonstrated commitment to social justice and a sustainable future
· Demonstrated ability with digital fundraising and online donor conversion strategies
· Prior experience in recruiting new donors through a variety of means
· Proven success at reaching diverse audiences and inviting their investment in the work
Defend Our Health believes that all people have a right to safe food and drinking water, healthy homes, and products that are toxic-free and climate friendly. We’ll stand up for this right whenever it is threatened. We use the best science, strategy and people power to persuade governments and corporations to deliver environmental health and justice. In the workplace and in the world, we are committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, access and justice. With an annual budget of $2.1 million, Defend Our Health employs 12 staff who work nationally and at the state level in the United States.
Location: We prefer that you work in our office in Portland, Maine or remotely within northern New England. However, for exceptional candidates willing to travel frequently, a remote work environment within the United States is possible.
Salary: Minimum of $54,000, with higher starting salary possible based on experience, and with promotional advancement opportunity possible over time
Benefits: Medical, disability, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) with employer matching; four weeks paid vacation, a generous number of paid holidays, as well as sick leave
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter highlighting your interest in the position and how your skills and background align with the qualifications, a writing sample, and your resume using our online application: https://jsco.re/c0z5b
Application Deadline: Application review will take place as applications are received and until a hire is made. Please see the link above to confirm if we are still accepting applications.
Defend Our Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, disability, or national origin.