Communications Manager, Global Climate
New York, Austin, Washington DC or remote
Type of Job
Commensurate with experience
May 7, 2021
About the job
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Environmental Defense Fund’s Global Climate program works to promote ambitious market-based climate policies around the globe — including in North America, where we have championed California’s cap-and-trade program and work to increase the ambition of federal policy; in Latin America, where we work to reduce emissions from tropical deforestation; in India, where we promote low-carbon rural development; and at the international level, including in the aviation and shipping sectors and in UN negotiations.
The Communications Manager, Global Climate is responsible for helping design and execute strategic communications campaigns that support and further the goals of the Global Climate program.
The Communications Manager will develop and carry out international public affairs campaigns, including digital and social media strategies; write, edit and promote content that supports Global Climate program work; and establish and grow the digital footprint of the Global Climate program’s efforts. The manager is an exceptional writer, and sophisticated on social strategy and digital influencing.
The Communications Manager will report to the Communications Director, Global Climate and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with staff in the Global Climate program and in the Marketing & Communications department.
- Work with the Global Climate team to help implement communications strategies and tactics that advance the program’s goals.
- Develop, refine, and promote content for policymakers and environmental and political journalists; this includes writing, editing, and promoting to target audiences, media statements, op-eds, blog posts, web pages and social media posts.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with targeted journalists; work to take advantage of press opportunities; and get EDF experts included in relevant stories. This includes developing talking points and collateral; media outreach; placing op-eds; and coordinating press conferences, one-on-one meetings with journalists, and editorial board meetings.
- Create and execute a digital influencing strategy.
- Track, record, and prepare reports on communications efforts and media coverage.
- Facilitate program staff approval of content prepared by the Development, Membership and the Marketing & Communications departments, including for direct mail, brand-level channels, and the Annual Report.
- Develop and help implement thought leadership strategies for Global Climate experts.
- Continually build skills among program staff to help achieve strong communications results through various channels (media, digital, speaking engagements, etc.).
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- 6+ years’ marketing/communications experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context; environmental experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in public relations, journalism, or a related field preferred, and may replace up to 2 years of experience.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for policymaker and civil society audiences.
- Proven ability to use sophisticated public affairs strategies to achieve policy goals.
- Solid record of producing media coverage in international, national, and diverse outlets.
- Extensive proficiency in strategic use of social and digital media.
- Advanced knowledge of media database platforms such as Cision and Buzzsumo a plus.
- Ability to work occasional non-standard hours, across time zones with a geographically dispersed team.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
EDF is currently working remotely due to the pandemic and anticipates returning to its offices only when it is safe to do so. We prefer candidates for this position who can eventually work out of one of our offices in Austin, New York, and Washington, DC, although exceptional candidates working from remote locations will be considered.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.