Type of Job
65,000 - 75,000
Feb 25, 2022
About the job
Front and Centered imagines a future full of possibilities, and one that is rooted in the rise of frontline communities for climate justice. Born seven years ago as a collective of visionary Black Brown Indigenous and People of Color community leaders, we have emerged as the leading statewide coalition advancing the solutions to climate change and environmental injustice by advancing our vision for a Just Transition. The essence and the ideas which seeded the bold vision as a people-powered, values-based climate and environmental justice movement in Washington early on, remain embedded in our community leadership which guides our Front and Centered team of experts into the future.
Black, Brown, and Indigenous leaders are organizing in rural towns and rising in urban neighborhoods across the state. The coalition envisions “a future where our communities and the earth are healed and thriving, our people have dignified work and the building blocks of opportunity and prosperity, and our government values, respects, and represents us.” They shine a light on the environmental injustices endured. They survive and thrive against all odds, as they share their wisdom, insight, and solutions to climate change and environmental racism. Across the state, coalition members bear witness to oppression and come together to lift what is possible.
With community voices guiding the vision and strategies of Front and Centered, a new team serves as a backbone for the coalition, taking shape as a new statewide center for coordinating and developing policy analysis, advocacy strategy, research and development, leadership support, capacity building, and diversified funding and other resources to sustain and grow the movement. This unique integration from community-driven expertise and resources is what Front and Centered powerfully brings together -- the people, policy, and practice of strategic impact. Our body of work is broad and deep, from the groundbreaking Environmental Health Disparities Map, the 100% Clean Energy Transformation Act, the Healthy Environment for All Act, to the methodologies and reports generated as a result of our community data-driven listening sessions. The coalition will continue to build and bring all tools to bear – from law and policy changes to innovations which are evidence-based and inspired by frontline community stories, to public education.
Join us as we develop our next actions to show how frontline communities are leading the transition away from an extraction-based economy toward a regenerative future!
About The Position
The Communications Lead will work with a collaborative cross-disciplinary team, under the supervision of the Co-Executive Director of Capacity Building. They will be responsible for coordinating multimedia communications needs and tasks for the organization across teams and with various consultants; creating and posting content on multiple forums and for various purposes as needed; and working with a team to develop and implement dynamic communications strategies, including media relations and origination and editing of content for multiple media and public relations platforms and audiences, in service of the mission and coalition members.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Coordination of Communications Delivery
- Coordinate and execute timely creation of a variety of communications projects and associated multi-media and multi-forum projects.
- Help define and develop systems for internal team communications needs and external inquiries.
- Serve as external and internal Communications point of contact/liaison for communications, including coordinate earned media development (including press outreach and opportunities).
- Support frontline formations in developing narratives and messages to advance climate justice work.
Content Creation and Editing
- Create written and multimedia content development for social and digital media, arts, culture, and other vehicles at the intersection of organizing and narrative.
- Help develop, update, and publish Front and Centered public communications material (websites, e-newsletters, podcasts, social media, etc).
Communications Strategy and Communications Project Oversight
- Develop communications strategies and ensure the timely, effective, and coordinated implementation of tasks for various communications projects.
- Maintain evaluation tools and messaging impact analysis and provide progress reports.
Position Located: This is a hybrid in-person/remote position based in Washington State
This is a full-time (35-hour week), Washington state-based position.
Office hours are typically Monday-Friday from 9am-5:00pm, with occasional evening and weekend work. We currently work under a hybrid remote-work arrangement model: work-from-home and onsite/in-person environments. Some travel is required; Front and Centered hosts in-person staff meetings up to four times a year (when COVID allows safe travel and social interactions) and hosts a number of in-person and virtual convenings throughout the year.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary range is $65,000 to $75,000 plus a generous benefits package. The Front and Centered’s benefits package includes medical and dental insurance coverage, 4 weeks paid vacation, sick leave, and 12 paid holidays. Front and Centered values our employees and ongoing professional development and growth.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion for facilitating frontline communities stories, for making justice the center of the climate and environmental conversation, and for being part of a dynamic, fun, and creative team.
- At least three years of professional experience related to communications, including social media and online campaigns, media relations, public relations, digital production.
- Experience working in multiple communications media: digital, print, broadcast, social, and arts and culture.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing racial equity or working directly in and for communities of color with experience working in diverse communities namely with people of color and indigenous peoples as well as disenfranchised communities.
- Strong commitment to the vision, mission, and values of Front and Centered.
- Proven ability to take initiative, identify priorities and accomplish tasks, and advance projects.
- Team player capable of working both collaboratively and independently.
- Deep knowledge and passion for social movements, environmental justice and racial justice.
- Experience working with and taking direction from frontline communities and working with community based organizations.
- Excellent Zoom meeting and webinar production chops are a big plus.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, social media handles (optional), and three relevant professional references to email@example.com, put “Position Title” and “name” as the subject line of the email.
Deadline: Priority Deadline is Monday, March 14th. Applications will be reviewed and considered on a rolling basis with interviews anticipated to start mid-March.
Preferred Start Date: Ideally by mid-April
Work Culture and Work Environment
Front and Centered emerged from a broad coalition of diverse community groups working at the intersection of equity and environmental justice. We strive to create a work culture that is inclusive, collaborative, and adaptive to the diverse and dynamic context of how Front and Centered serves the coalition. To this end, every staff member is expected to work as a partner and within a culture of supportive leadership and lifelong learning and knowledge sharing; understand and engage in teamwork which is characterized by hope, celebration, creativity, collaboration, cultural humility, equity, and respect; exercise the highest level of ethics, professionalism, discretion and confidentiality; demonstrate initiative, organization, and an ability to multitask and manage multiple priorities.
We are a small team of enthusiastic, hard-working, and often very busy people. It is a fast-paced environment but where staff enjoy each other’s company and take time to build a supportive and inclusive culture.
Diversity | Equity | Inclusion
Front and Centered strives to create an inclusive workplace in which we meaningfully connect as colleagues and community partners, reflective of the people with whom we live, serve, and share in community. As an equal-opportunity employer, we work with people of diverse personal, professional, and regional backgrounds, so that our board, team, community members and advisory council have a collective impact on delivering on our mission. People of color and others from underrepresented groups, especially people with direct experience working within the communities Front and Centered partners with, are encouraged to apply. We invite people to be part of our team, regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs.