Communications Coordinator (Social Media)
Type of Job
$25,000 to $35,000
Feb 10, 2023
About the job
Plastic Pollution Coalition (PPC) is a non-profit communications and advocacy organization that collaborates with an expansive global alliance of organizations, businesses, and individuals to create a more just, equitable, regenerative world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impacts.
Plastic Pollution Coalition envisions a world free of plastic pollution, in which:
- Earth’s air, soil, and water are free of plastic pollution in all its forms and across the entire life cycle of plastic.
- The food, drinking water, and bodies of all creatures are free of plastic and its chemical compounds.
- BIPOC, rural, and low-income communities are no longer disproportionately harmed by the petrochemical industry.
- Individuals strive to embody zero waste values and engage with NGOs, businesses, and policymakers to advocate for systemic change.
- Human culture has shifted to be in balance with nature, where nothing is wasted and all of life and Earth’s resources are valued and protected.
- Businesses design goods to be package free or use packaging that is non-toxic and reusable or truly biodegradable and bio-benign.
- Corporations deliver their products using non-toxic refillable and reusable systems.
- Governments enforce regulations and legislation to support a circular economy.
- Fossil fuel industry dependence is diminished, and the global climate is protected.
Plastic Pollution Coalition educates and connects people and groups to advocate for a world free of plastic pollution.
We encourage you to learn about our current openings and meet our team. We look forward to receiving your application.
Plastic Pollution Coalition is Fiscally Sponsored by Earth Island Institute. All staff of Plastic Pollution Coalition are legally employees of Earth Island Institute.
This is a great opportunity for a Communications Coordinator to join a small, nimble non-profit organization working to make a real difference in the world.
The successful candidate will be an integral part of a cohesive, highly motivated team and will work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. He/she/they will report to the Marketing & Social Media Manager.
The Communications Coordinator (Social Media, Bilingual Spanish-Speaking) will lead tracking and coordination of content and copywriting for PPC’s social media channels. He/she/they will support administrative social media needs, community engagement, social media analysis, and design and video creation. He/she/they will assist with Spanish translations of PPC content and engage with Spanish-speaking communities on social media and in other communications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Content Coordination and Creation
- Collaborate with the Marketing & Social Media Manager to coordinate and create strategic and engaging content for PPC social media channels (currently with ~500K followers) and public-facing content (e.g., web pages, publications, fact sheets).
- Support social media channel coordination, planning, research, scheduling, copywriting, and design.
- Design original social media graphics, memes, and videos as directed by Marketing & Social Media Manager.
- Research, plan, and write compelling social media posts and copy for graphics related to plastic pollution, health, science, environment, wildlife, social justice, and fundraising. Translate and write Spanish copy for marketing and social media as needed.
- Support communications plan outputs including the creation of social media toolkits; writing social media copy for notable members; and drafting emails to share campaigns.
- Track internal and external social media sharing requests in social media calendar from staff and Coalition members (1,200+ businesses and organizations).
- Assess PPC social media channels for growth and engagement through reporting, and make and create recommendations to improve KPIs.
- Support community engagement by answering questions, Like/thumbs-up, retweets, responding to direct messages, etc. This will include engaging with relevant social media accounts, brands, and campaigns that align with existing PPC initiatives.
- Assist in the development of influencer marketing strategy and build relationships with diverse influencers and allies.
GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT
- Translate and write Spanish copy for PPC communications and campaigns as needed.
- Support organizational design requests as needed such as sourcing photography for blogs and the PPC website; preparing digital presentations; plastic-free guides and reports; and other visual/design requests as needed.
- Assist in organizing graphic assets (PPC currently uses Filecamp).
- Support Communications requests as needed.
- Occasional travel for PPC events.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3 or more years of professional experience in communications, digital strategy, marketing, design, non-profit or a related field.
- Experience creating compelling social media campaigns and posts for business and/or non-profit Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn accounts.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices on social media.
- Working knowledge of Hootsuite, Later.com, Canva.com, Slack, Monday.com, Google Suite, CiviCRM, Filecamp (or ability to learn quickly).
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Adobe Premiere for graphics and video creation a plus.
- Experience writing marketing materials and for social media channels.
- Knowledge of popular culture and the entertainment industry’s presence and habits on social media (preferred but not required).
- Experience creating campaigns to launch original video (preferred but not required).
- Design experience required (experience with Canva preferred). Photography experience preferred.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Plastic Pollution Coalition.
- Experience analyzing social media analytics.
- Ability to stay abreast of current social media trends, analyze PPC social media channels, research emerging trends and best practices, and make recommendations on an ongoing basis.
- Strong commitment to Plastic Pollution Coalition’s mission, and committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
The salary range for this position is $25,000 to $35,000 for part-time (20 hours per week), commensurate with qualifications and experience. PPC also offers a comprehensive benefits program, including employer-sponsored health insurance and paid time off including vacation, holidays, personal days, parental and sick leave. This is an exempt position.
Marketing & Social Media Manager
All staff of PPC work remotely. This candidate can be based anywhere in the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please send an email with the Subject Line: Communications Coordinator (Social Media) that includes your resume, cover letter, salary requirement, and at least two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.