Communications Associate - Atlantic Southeast
Type of Job
May 4, 2023
About the job
Our energy system is on the brink of a major transformation. We’re looking for someone to help us ensure this new system puts rooftop solar energy at the cornerstone!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit that started more than 15 years ago with a simple question: "Mom, can we go solar?" Since then, we've helped tens of thousands of people benefit from solar energy. We are dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone — by helping people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
About the Position
The Communications Associate will assist our Atlantic/Southeast Region programs (D.C, Florida, Maryland, Puerto Rico, Virginia) with all aspects of communications activities in that region. You’ll be part of a strong team of fellow Communications Associates and will have a diverse set of responsibilities as part of a growing organization. Your primary focus will be developing and promoting content for the organization’s solar educational and advocacy programs.
You’ll report to the Senior Director of Communications, and work with a committed and creative group of renewable energy leaders, policy wonks, digital marketers, and community organizers on projects with ambitious goals and national impact.
This position can be located anywhere in the United States but candidates from D.C., Florida, Maryland, Puerto Rico, or Virginia are strongly preferred.
Job responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of external communications to recruit new participants into solar co-ops, including email blasts, social media posts, and press releases for the Atlantic/Southeast Region.
- Managing the communications and activity calendars for multiple state teams to provide organization and structure to their work.
- Supporting the Advocacy team in developing and deploying communications materials for fast-paced solar advocacy campaigns for the region.
- Representing the Communications team with a cross-cutting department to ensure coordination between internal teams.
- Utilizing our digital asset management tool and helping the entire organization take advantage of our great digital resources.
- Writing and editing website content, including blog posts.
- Issuing press releases, pitching stories, and following up with journalists about our work.
- Working with contractors for design work and other projects as needed.
- Participating in the development of marketing materials for new solar campaigns as opportunities arise.
- Other projects as identified.
- Minimum two years of relevant professional experience
- Experience implementing communications or marketing campaigns
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong storyteller
- Proficiency with WordPress or similar content management systems
- Comfortable juggling multiple initiatives and working on tight deadlines
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, growing environment
- Experience working with/managing volunteers
- Experience working in fundraising/development
- Familiarity with solar energy
- Fun, remote work environment
- Flexible work hours
- Generous paid leave
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- $1,000/year professional development stipend
- $50/month phone and internet stipend
- 401(k) retirement account with match after 1 year
- Meaningful, impactful work
Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with a non-traditional education. We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every preferred qualification, we still encourage you to apply.
How to apply
If you think this job might be for you, please apply on our job board by end of day May 17, 2023. Please include both a resume and cover letter with your applicaiton.