Communications Associate, Economics & Global Climate
Type of Job
Jun 1, 2022
About the job
The Communications Associate will provide vital internal and external communications support to the Economics and Global Climate Cooperation team. They will support communications around EDF’s academic research on environmental economics, as well as its policy advocacy including on carbon markets, international climate cooperation, and sustainable aviation. The Communications Associate will contribute to the team’s thought leadership and advocacy communications; help develop and implement efficient processes for internal and external communications; help plan and promote events; create and promote digital content; and support project management and operations. The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Manager, Global Climate, and work closely with the Economics & Global Climate Cooperation communications team and program colleagues.
- Supporting the development and execution of communications strategies to advance the mission of the Economics and Global Climate Cooperation team to address the climate crisis through economics and international cooperation.
- Writing and editing materials to support media relations, including press releases, statements, commentary pieces and other media materials.
- Developing and maintaining digital content, including on EDF’s social media and website. This includes drafting and editing social media copy and blogs, supporting the production of creative visual assets, and posting, promoting and updating social media content and web pages as needed.
- Supporting the planning, coordination and promotion of events (virtual, in-person and hybrid). This includes developing and maintaining a list of seminars, workshops, conferences and events; tracking deadlines; pitching EDF participation to media outlets; coordinating internal and external logistics, including Zoom management; promoting events, including through email distribution and social media promotion; and tracking results and evaluating success.
- Managing the Economics and Global Climate Cooperation program's quarterly internal and external newsletters, including drafting, coordinating reviews and distribution to executive members, partner organizations and academia, while aiming to grow an audience of subscribers for each product.
- Tracking and managing regular reporting of Economics and Global Climate Cooperation’s impact through earned media, social media, and thought leadership.
- Building and managing the communications team’s project management platform, editorial calendar, and digital archives of files/ documents including media lists, talking points, collateral materials, events, editorial calendar, photos, etc.
- Supporting special projects for Economics and Global Climate Cooperation as needed, and additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Supporting with light operational tasks such as scheduling meetings, managing vendor contracts, note-taking, etc.
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- One to two years relevant work experience. Bachelor's degree – preferably in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field – is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Curiosity about and ability to learn new communications tools or platforms such as Cision, Salesforce, MailChimp, Wordpress, Google Analytics, and other new tools preferred.
- Basic graphic design experience or interest preferred.
- Detail-oriented with strong organization and research skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to leverage new opportunities.
- Proactive self-starter with a strong ability to anticipate logistical needs, quickly resolve issues or conflicts, and to think ahead to meet the needs of staff for successful results.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Interest in environmental advocacy and EDF’s mission.
- **For further consideration, please provide a writing sample.