Santa Fe New Mexico
Type of Job
$45,000 - $55,000
Oct 5, 2022
About the job
Purpose and Background:
Conservation Voters New Mexico (CVNM) and CVNM Education Fund are a family of nonprofit organizations headquartered in Santa Fe, NM. Our vision is for New Mexicans to thrive in just, resilient communities where our conservation and cultural values guide our decision-makers and public policies. CVNM connects the people of New Mexico to their political power by mobilizing voters, winning elections, holding elected officials accountable and advancing responsible public policies.
We are seeking a dedicated Communications Associate to manage CVNM’s social media accounts, provide administrative and strategic support for external communications, and create graphic and video content to amplify the goals of the organization’s campaigns. The right candidate for this role will have strong written and spoken communication skills, comfort with technology and social media platforms, excellent interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated commitment to CVNM’s mission, vision and values.
The Communications Associate must be committed to our mission and values of authentic community and stakeholder engagement in policy work, and equitable opportunities that promote race equity, diversity, and inclusion. CVNM staff incorporate these values into our day-to-day systems and work, and provide key support for collaboration across departments and organizational partnerships. This position is based in Santa Fe with some remote work possible for the right candidate. This position also requires the ability to work a non-standard work week including some evenings and weekends, particularly during the legislative session and/or election season, and occasional travel.
● Design creative content and manage CVNM’s social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
● Create videos and/or graphics to meet the organization’s policy goals, and connect decisionmakers, donors, subscribers and the public to our work.
● Manage petition campaigns and membership communication strategies to support advocacy campaigns.
● Implement strategies that amplify CVNM’s priorities in the media, including press pitches, organizing editorial board meetings or press events, and other strategies.
● Manage the newsletter process, and assist with the production of CVNM’s Conservation Scorecard.
● Format and send e-blasts and other member/subscriber communications.
● Format and send press materials to media outlets through Meltwater.
● In partnership with the Communications Director and Content Manager design and implement ways to amplify community and partner stories with the media, public, decision-makers, and CVNM members that highlight the urgency of our work.
● Track and file all media-related documents, public facing communications, and graphics. Manage image bank and archiving, search for and recommend appropriate images, video, and graphics for communication pieces.
● Coordinate with coalition partners, participate in meetings, and represent CVNM to external stakeholders.
● Adhere to CVNM policies and procedures.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Minimum 2+ years of experience in journalism, communications, and/or marketing..
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video).
● Proven ability to balance multiple content projects.
● Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
● Comfortable presenting to multicultural audiences and collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
● Enthusiasm for and commitment to amplifying the voice and leadership of rural and/or communities of color in New Mexico.
● Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water, wildlife and community health.
● Strong understanding of how engaging the public in the political process can create policy change.
● Strong understanding of how voting and civic engagement can create policy change.
● Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends as needed.
● Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required.
● Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccinations and booster by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
● Experience in advocacy, political or issue campaigns is a plus.
● Familiarity with New Mexico’s diverse cultures and environmental issues
● Working in a non-profit environment is a plus
● Graphic design and/or video production knowledge is a plus.