Type of Job
May 21, 2021
About the job
Climate Nexus is a nonprofit strategic communications group dedicated to changing the conversation on climate change and clean energy solutions in the United States. Climate Nexus is seeking Communications Associates.
Climate Nexus was created as a behind-the-scenes connector, ensuring coherent, effective climate communications and to elevate the work of a broad network of partners, including youth groups, environmental justice allies, leaders from city and state governments, and more. Climate Nexus provides pro bono support to organizations that work on climate change and clean energy and believes the “story” of climate change is the foundation on which meaningful action is built. Our job is to tell that story to as many people as possible in a way that resonates with them.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
We are seeking three communications Associates to join our Projects and Partners (2), and Energy Transition (1) teams.
The Projects and Partners team works to incubate new ideas and develop relationships across the climate community. We work across a range of issues including but not limited to: international cooperation, fossil fuel finance, environmental justice, health, and non-federal engagement (with city, state, business and other local leaders). And with partners including, but not limited to: investors and analysts, foreign policy experts, healthcare professionals, youth representatives, local advocates, mayors and governors, leaders from business, higher ed and other institutions, frontline communities, indigenous groups, and faith groups.
The Energy Transition team works to develop narratives that describe the unstoppable transition toward clean energy and transportation and its associated benefits. We do this by closely tracking the transition, identifying trends, analysis, policy developments and stories to elevate into national conversations. We also design and deliver communications and marketing campaigns that help a diverse network of partners understand how to tell their story and who to tell it to.
● Implement campaign and communications strategies to support climate change solutions.
● Develop and maintain relationships with journalists and editors who cover a variety of beats related to climate change, clean energy, business, policy and more.
● Work with national and regional reporters to advance stories and elevate voices that support climate solutions.
● Draft talking points, press releases, op-eds, memos, issue briefs, and a range of written products.
● Work with internal and external partners to execute strategic communication projects and strategies that support team goals and advance climate solutions.
● Build and maintain press or partner lists.
● Strategic and analytical thinker who can recognize communications opportunities and risks.
● Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multitask, prioritize, and proactively manage many simultaneous issues.
● Excellent writing, editing, research, and verbal communication skills.
● 1-2 years experience working with journalists and media organizations or on communications and/or advocacy campaigns.
● Active interest in engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work within Climate Nexus, including ensuring equity is central to team strategy and communications work.
● Knowledge of climate change and clean energy issues, and how these issues intersect with other issues and groups. Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines.
● Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
● Experience working with partner organizations and building coalitions.
● Experience working on a political or issue campaign is a plus.
● Experience engaging on topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace; demonstrated cultural competency and ability to respectfully communicate across cultural differences.
Location: Flexible. Climate Nexus has Washington, D.C. and New York City offices, although our staff is now fully remote. Remote candidates will be considered, although occasional travel to our New York and D.C. offices will be required when it is safe.
While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of news this role will sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
Salary range: $55,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave; commuter transit benefit.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter and 1 writing sample no longer than 800 words (preferably strategic communications products like media pitches, messaging, etc.) to email@example.com, with “Communications Associate” in the subject line by Friday the 4th of June. We encourage you to state a preference about which team you’d like to work on and why, though we cannot guarantee you will only be considered for this team. Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.
Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer. Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages qualified persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or military/veteran status to apply.