Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Type of Job
Dec 3, 2021
About the job
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Bicycle Colorado is a membership-driven 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 1992. We envision a Colorado where riding a bicycle is always safe and convenient for everyone, where bicycling is the top choice for recreation and everyday trips, and where the benefits of bicycling are experienced and valued by all people in our state. We are recognized as one of the nation’s most prominent organizations of our kind.
We advocate for bicycle-friendly policies and infrastructure, and provide educational support to help kids and adults ride a bicycle safely and with confidence. We also educate drivers to safely operate their vehicles in harmony with bicycles on the road.
Bicycle Colorado’s Denver advocacy arm, the Denver Streets Partnership, works to reclaim Denver’s streets for people walking, rolling, biking, and using transit, and to build safe, healthy, and equitable communities. To do so, the Denver Streets Partnership connects decision makers and Denver residents with diverse perspectives, timely information, and practical solutions to reduce our city’s dependence on cars and design communities that prioritize people. The Denver Streets Partnership believes in an equitable and vibrant Denver that guarantees our public spaces are designed for people and with human dignity as the guiding principle for the design of our transportation system.
Together, our team strives to build a movement that advocates for safe streets and more accessible biking. We collaborate with a variety of constituent groups, including elected officials, government agencies, bike industry organizations, community leaders and other nonprofits.
This is a unique opportunity for a creative, early career communicator to join our team and help shape the public-facing voice of Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership. The Communications Coordinator will report directly to the Communications and Marketing Manager and will be responsible for translating the organization’s work into easy-to-understand graphics, email communications, social media posts, marketing collateral and more.
The Communications Coordinator is expected to be a self-starter capable of developing and sharing content on their own while navigating the differing voices of Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership. They will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Manager to ensure consistent branding and voice across channels, to broaden awareness about our advocacy work, and to motivate people to support Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership’s work.
Our team is highly collaborative. The Communications Coordinator will work in partnership with other members of the Bicycle Colorado and Denver Streets Partnership team, particularly with teammates focused on membership, policy, and education.
Our workspace is flexible, but the Communications Coordinator will be expected to join all-team meetings out of our LoDo office in Denver when necessary. Some evening and weekend work is required of all team members.
We encourage all applicants to learn more about our work at bicyclecolorado.org and www.denverstreetspartnership.org and, specifically, to review our core values and commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion; as well as Bicycle Colorado’s full Strategic Plan and the Denver Streets Partnership’s Strategic Framework before applying.
- Develop marketing collateral that promotes events, programs, and policy campaigns for Bicycle Colorado and Denver Streets Partnership.
- Provide graphic design and basic video editing support for WordPress website elements, social media, and other collateral pieces.
- Implement social media strategy developed by Communications and Marketing Manager; post across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for both Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership
- Work with Communications and Marketing Manager to:
- Manage Bicycle Colorado and Denver Streets Partnership websites and blogs, including:
- Writing and publishing equity-focused storytelling and resources
- Making websites more accessible for visually-impaired visitors
- Assist with outreach via EveryAction to the bicycling and multimodal advocacy community to activate communication to legislators in support of our advocacy efforts
- Assist with education team on marketing efforts
- Collaborate on membership drives, campaigns and appeals, including annual mailings and Colorado Gives Day communications
- Ensure consistent branding and messaging
- Respond to and/or delegate responses to emails or requests for information directed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create business cards, email signatures, and other relevant collateral including branded tents, tablecloths, and merchandise items for Bicycle Colorado and Denver Streets Partnership staff
- Maintain and organize library of photographs and videos across Bicycle Colorado and Denver Streets Partnership
Responsibilities shared with all Communications Team members
- Assist in development of marketing and communications plan and communications team policies, including crisis communications policies.
- Participate in Bicycle Colorado and Denver Streets Partnership staff meetings
- Develop campaign related communications and organizational promotions
- Ensure quality control of all internal- and external-facing communications.
- Work with all team members to ensure accurate, representative, and compelling communications about all department activities
- Effective presentation of organization’s mission and programs
- Contribute ideas, positive energy, problem-solving and a collaborative spirit to the team
- Keep fingers on the pulse of bicycling and multimodal transportation news locally, nationally and internationally
- Participating in calls with relevant advisory boards, including RIDE Advisory Board and Denver Streets Partnership Steering Committee
- Support of our larger events in various capacities
Requirements of a successful candidate
- Ability to draft and edit professional written communications is a must, as is clear verbal communication
- Social media experience—particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator or similar programs—the ability to translate content into eye-catching, easily understood graphics or tables is important to this role
- Marketing and communications experience tied to revenue-generating activities
- Strong organization and multi-tasking skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work well with others in a team atmosphere
- Willingness to take risks, reflect on performance, learn from mistakes and improve
- Adaptable to unforeseen circumstances and managing change
Additional desired characteristics and skills sought:
- A passion for safe streets and interest in Denver and Colorado bicycling and multimodal transportation issues
- Bachelor’s degree (or 2 years of relevant previous experience) in communications, marketing, english or a related field or design degree
- Highly collaborative in nature and able to thrive in a team setting with cross-departmental interdependencies
- Ability to work independently to achieve milestones and goals on schedule
- Proficiency with WordPress desired
- Basic photography skills desired
- Understanding of Google analytics and other metrics tracking desired
- Knowledge of Customer Relationship Management systems, especially EveryAction and Salesforce, a plus
- Conversational Spanish a plus
- Conversational Vietnamese a plus
The starting annual salary for this position will fall between $38,000-$45,000, depending on the selected candidate’s experience and expertise. Health insurance, vision, dental, major holidays, four weeks of vacation, and retirement plan match are included in the compensation package. Additionally, staff members who have worked for the organization for 5 years are eligible to participate in our sabbatical program.
Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership regularly contract with the City of Denver or are subcontractors to other leads on City of Denver projects. The City requires all contractor and subcontractor teams to have proof of vaccination. The selected candidate must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
The ebb and flow of work may require some longer days or weeks, including some evenings and weekends. Staff are encouraged to take comp time as needed to achieve an average of 40 hours per week over the course of a year.
In response to COVID, our team has adopted a hybrid work model. Currently, we meet every Monday in person at our offices located in downtown Denver, which is easily accessible by transit and bike. Additional in person meetings are scheduled as needed. We anticipate keeping a hybrid work model post-COVID, although specifics will be adjusted as needed.
Our office is located in downtown Denver and is easily accessible by transit and bike. This may change as public health conditions evolve. Indoor bicycle parking is provided.
Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership are dedicated to equal employment opportunities in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. Bicycle Colorado and the Denver Streets Partnership prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
How to Apply
Email resume, 1-2 examples of previous marketing collateral you have worked on, and cover letter to email@example.com with email subject line: First Name Last Name - Communications and Marketing Coordinator. We also invite all applicants to complete this optional and anonymous survey to help us learn more about who is applying for positions on our team: https://bit.ly/BCDSPcandidates
Application deadline: Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. We will begin reviewing candidates on Monday, January 17, 2022.