Communications & Events Manager
Type of Job
Nov 30, 2021
About the job
The Environmental League of Massachusetts (ELM) and the ELM Action Fund (ELM AF) are committed to advocating for policy and building political power in Massachusetts that meet the scale and urgency of our environmental challenges. We are recruiting a Communications & Events Manager to support both organizations. The Communications & Events Manager will be an integral member of a collegial and effective 13-person advocacy team. Read our purpose, mission, vision, and values for ELM and the ELM Action Fund.
As a key member of the Positioning Team, you will play a critical role in crafting external communications for our mission-driven organization. We are an agile, collaborative team looking for candidates who have a passion for inspiring, informing, and engaging people through clear communications and effective programming. This role has tremendous opportunity for impact, supporting an organization of proven advocates. You must thrive in a fast-paced environment, be a self-starter, and have strong engagement and planning skills. You must be an exceptional writer, a strategic communicator, and dedicated team player with a passion for the environment and a growth mindset.
Writing & Organizational Voice
- Draft compelling and persuasive original content for advocacy, press releases, and member email engagement
- Ensure quality and accuracy of staff-generated content by proofreading, editing, and designing materials including grant reports, fact sheets, slide presentations
- Ensure consistent “voice” and tone of organization
Graphic Design & Digital Media
- Create and update graphics for policy advocacy, political campaigns, and organizational promotional materials
- Design publications including Annual Report
- Oversee organization-wide brand and visual identity, including creation and implementation of templates, style guides, and procedures
- Create and maintain an electronic library of graphics and other archives of communications-related elements and templates, including logos, letterhead, and photos
- Create and place digital ads and other paid media advertising, targeted to maximize impact and effectiveness
- Track and review campaign performance; adapt tactics as needed
Social Media & Website
- Maintain cutting-edge knowledge on best practices on all social media platforms
- Develop and execute a strategy to ensure supporters and followers engage and feel part of a community on social media
- Maintain social media accounts, including creating and posting new, engaging content around policies, candidates, and key news, tailored to each social channel
- Ensure accurate, timely, and compelling updates of website content
Events Logistics & Coordination
- Support all staff with meeting and event requests including registration pages, invitations, email communication, promotion plans, planning logistics, budget, and vendor coordination for virtual and in-person convenings
- Gather and analyze data on events, including: attendee counts, registration information, fundraising, survey results, meeting notes, and more
- Collect and analyze data on outreach, events, and engagement
- Maintain and organize organizational contact lists
- Work across ELM and ELM Action Fund teams and functions to ensure all our databases are up to date and communicating as they should
- Manage a Communications Intern and oversee ELM Action Fund Campaign and Advocacy Fellows with tasks as needed
- Exceptional persuasive writing skills
- Experience driving strategic and effective communications
- Graphic design skills
- Knowledge of social media best practices
- Interest in clean energy, climate, and environmental issues
- Self-motivated, collaborative, and detail-oriented
- Commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into ELM’s work and to ensuring an inclusive organizational culture
- Track record of planning, executing, or managing impactful events
- Experience using Canva, WordPress, Salesforce, SalsaEngage
Compensation: $55-60k, depending on experience. ELM provides generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, Health Savings Account, and a 403(b) retirement plan with organizational match.
This role requires occasional morning and evening commitments outside of the standard 9-5 office hours. The position is based in Boston, MA and will require occasional travel to events within Massachusetts. ELM is still mapping out our ‘return to the office’ plans and we are willing to be flexible to accommodate some remote work and a flexible schedule if requested. The job is posted as a 40-hour/week role.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications & Events Manager” and take a moment to complete our optional demographic survey.
ELM is an equal-opportunity employer and we strongly encourage applications from all interested candidates. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, creed, religion, personal appearance, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, or sexual orientation.