Comms Specialist, Global Climate Cooperation
Type of Job
$56,000 - $62,000 USD/Yr.
Jul 10, 2023
About the job
Comms Specialist, Global Climate Cooperation
The Communications Specialist, Global Climate Cooperation works closely with EDF’s Marketing and Communications department to provide crucial strategic communications support to the Global Climate Cooperation communications team and mission area staff.
The Communications Specialist will support in the creation and execution of strategic communications plans for the Global Climate Cooperation mission area, including for its work on Multilateral Climate Cooperation and on Carbon Pricing. This includes coordination of communications projects and timelines; content development and promotion; media relations support and reporting; thought leadership support and reporting; securing copy review and approval; and event planning and support.
The Communications Specialist will report to the Senior Communications Manager, Global Climate, and coordinate closely with other members of the Global Climate Cooperation communications team, Global Climate Cooperation mission area staff, and the Marketing & Communications department.
- Contribute to the development and execution of strategic communications plans for Global Climate Cooperation.
- Support the communications team’s writing, editing, designing, securing approval for, publishing, promoting and monitoring performance of public-facing content with nuanced messages under tight time constraints. Materials include talking points, opinion pieces, blog posts, press releases, web content, fact sheets, white papers, social media posts, Development and Membership materials, and other mission area content.
- Create comprehensive project plans with timelines and production overviews, conduct regular checkpoints with workstream owners, and determine risks/challenges. Handle related operations work, including: scheduling check ins, developing agendas, taking notes, and circulating action items and notes.
- Support media coordination for the team, including: monitoring and sharing media coverage of issues and events relevant to the Global Climate Cooperation mission area; identifying opportunities to elevate Global Climate Cooperation’s policy priorities to its target audiences; drafting media-focused communications; developing and maintaining media lists; tracking media coverage; and reporting on media efforts monthly, quarterly and around special events.
- Lead preparation for, track and report thought leadership engagements, working closely with the Marketing and Communications department.
- Support and/ or lead the event planning, coordination and logistics for the Global Climate Cooperation team’s virtual, hybrid and in-person events.
- Lightly design creative assets using EDF brand guidelines; facilitate professional design, in coordination with the EDF MarComm team; and ensure timely review and approval of materials.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the experiences fell connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in communications, public relations, journalism or similar field and interest in climate advocacy.
- Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree may substitute for two years of experience.
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills.
- Strong oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Proficiency with social media tools and platforms preferred.
- Basic graphic and design experience preferred.
- Familiarity with communication tools preferred (e.g. Cision, Google Analytics, Buzzsumo, WordPress, Drupal etc.)
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.