Coastal Waterbird Program Field Coordinator
Type of Job
Rate of payment is $14.00-$14.75/hr depending on experience. Housing may be available for payroll deduction of $25-35/wk. Field travel reimbursement will be provided.
Dec 29, 2020
About the job
Coastal Waterbird Program Field Coordinator
Early March to mid/end September, 2021
Mass Audubon is seeking to fill a seasonal Assistant Field Coordinator position to conduct research, monitoring, management, and protection of coastal birds and other natural resources, and to train and supervise staff and volunteers in these activities. For more information, visit www.massaudubon.org/cwp
This is a full-time position running from early-March through late-August based out of the Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary, Barnstable (covering field sites on Cape Cod, Buzzards Bay, Boston, and the North Shore.)
· Reports to the Coastal Waterbird Program Assistant Director
· Coordinate and support Coastal Waterbird Program field crews (approximately 4 crews) of field assistants and volunteers to meet research, wildlife management and education objectives of the program.
· Serve as Crew Leader for Yarmouth crew, field assistants and volunteers to meet research, wildlife management and education objectives of the Coastal Waterbird Program;
· Train and supervise field assistants and volunteers in collection and management of biological data on nesting, foraging and migrating species of coastal waterbirds; accomplish the wildlife management objectives of the Coastal Waterbird Program including protocols for predator and vegetation management; train and supervise staff to accomplish education objectives including to land owners and managers, community groups, and the public.
· Accomplish the wildlife management and education objectives of the Coastal Waterbird Program;
· Assist with sanctuary-based Coastal Waterbird Program staff as needed;
· Establish and cultivate relationships with public and private landowners, and with beach managers on regional beaches; educate beachgoers about coastal wildlife protection on a daily basis.
· Assist in management of databases including abundance, productivity and behavioral data; create GIS/Google Earth maps of coastal resources;
· Compile data for state plover, tern, and oystercatcher census forms and write summary reports for specific sites on results and management activities;
· Supervise and conduct research on special projects as directed.
· Other tasks as directed.
· Applicants should have a B.S. or B.A. or higher in wildlife biology/management, ecology, zoology, environmental science, or related field, or equivalent experience, as well as 12 months previous supervisory experience;
· Six to 12 months prior experience with piping plover/tern/avian field monitoring, data collection and management required;
· Applicants should have demonstrated experience utilizing judgment in field-based wildlife research and management projects;
· Experience in behavioral data collection, band-reading, wildlife tracking, coastal wildlife management issues, and GIS mapping preferred;
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point)
· Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing
· Small boat-handling experience preferred;
· Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs across varied and sandy terrain.
· Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (dependent upon wildlife and weather);
· Must have access to a vehicle for daily driving between sites;
· Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s).
Benefits: Rate of payment is $14.00-$14.75 depending on experience. Housing may be available for payroll deduction of $25-35/wk. Field travel reimbursement will be provided.
To apply for this position:
Please send a cover letter (specify position(s) for which you are applying and dates of availability), resume and list of three references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
In addition to submitting your resume, cover letter and references, please complete a short cover page questionnaire at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MWNJVS8 . Your application will not be processed without completion/receipt of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin in January, and positions will be filled by March 1, 2021