Climate Power - National Press Secretary
Washington, DC / Remote
Type of Job
The salary range for this position starts at $96,000
May 25, 2022
About the job
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a National Press Secretary to play an integral role in building and executing Climate Power’s national media strategy. Click here to apply.
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
- Earned media: Develop and execute earned media strategy and drive coverage in the daily national media conversation to elevate the positive impacts of climate action as well as the consequences of climate change if we don’t act
- Engage with national and political press along with the climate, labor, and progressive leaders who cover them. Manage incoming requests from issue, political, and any other national reporters; build relationships with key reporters to generate positive stories about our work and goals while conducting frequent and consistent outreach to reporters and columnists at the national level.
- Events: In conjunction with other Climate Power teams organize and support large scale events while preparing local organizations, surrogates, and ordinary Americans who will be participants.
- Booking: Be a one stop booking shop for Climate Power’s advisory board on TV, Radio, & online platforms to ensure that the organization’s surrogates are getting opportunities to deliver Climate Power’s message to new audiences.
- Develop materials: Write press releases, talking points, opinion pieces, and pitches.
- Track and monitor climate coverage: Track and flag daily news and social content to insert Climate Power narratives and create press opportunities, constantly be on the lookout for stories we should be pitching to other outlets to further our narratives.
- Rapid response: Identify opportunities to respond to developing news stories that are gaining attention across the country. Work closely with the director of national media and the deputy managing director to develop plans responding to particular moments while carrying out engagement with reporters.
Requirements & Qualifications
- At least 4 years of work experience, including at least a year of political communications experience. A track record of engagement with national media outlets is preferred along with experience working with producers and bookers.
- Experience working directly with national political and environmental press, including successfully pitching and placing stories. On the record experience is a plus.
- Deep interest in the economic impact of climate change, clean energy jobs, environmental justice, and how these issues impact different communities across the country.
- Experience working with storytellers or climate advocacy groups is a plus.
- Must be a fast and precise writer familiar with writing for press purposes.
This full time exempt position reports to Climate Power’s Advisor & Director of National Media.
Climate Power and Climate Power Education Fund are fiscally sponsored projects of Fund for a Better Future (FBF) and Resources Legacy Fund (RLF). RLF and FBF are an equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination, where all team members feel valued, respected, and included. We know that our work is enriched by the varied voices and perspectives of every staff and board member, so we are committed to making an earnest effort to recruit, welcome, train, develop, and retain talented individuals from diverse backgrounds. We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture expands our creative capacity to do our work and achieve greater outcomes for people and the natural world. Learn more about RLF’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
Pay and title for this position is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. The salary range for this position starts at $96,000. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
RLF and FBF require that employees be vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to visiting or working in an RLF or FBF office or conducting any travel or in-person meetings on behalf of our organizations. If you are hired for this position, we will require proof that you are up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.