Climate Justice and Clean Air Advocate
Type of Job
$55,000 - $70,000
May 9, 2022
About the job
Position Title: Climate Justice and Clean Air Advocate
Position type: Full-time employee, remote
Salary Range (commensurate with experience): $55,000 - $70,000
Benefits: health insurance, retirement benefits, home office stipend, generous vacation policy
The Climate Justice and Clean Air Advocate will support GreenLatinos Climate and Clean Air programming with support from GreenLatinos staff, including the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program Director. The scope of this work falls within our Climate Justice and Clean Air policy priorities, including divesting from fossil fuels and improving local and regional air quality throughout the U.S. as well as tangential policies such as jobs and just transition programs that support workers moving into clean energy employment.
The Climate Justice and Clean Air Program works in, leads and supports several coalitions including the Methane Partners Campaign and the Climate Action Campaign. Within these and other coalition spaces, the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program works to advance federal policies that achieve reductions in climate and air pollution that harms the planet and the health of Latinx/a/o communities.
The Climate and Clean Air Advocate must be a well-organized individual who is comfortable working with diverse constituencies (communities of color, local organizations, businesses, government, foundations, and green groups), working in coalition with grassroots
and national environmental organizations, and advocating for fair and equitable partnership practices with these communities. Experience in climate and air pollution policy, as well as experience working on environmental justice issues is essential. Strong writing and verbal skills are required – preference for Spanish/English bilingual fluency.
The program advocate must have the ability to support a work plan that includes policy, communications, grassroots engagement and fundraising strategies while developing and maintaining the goals of the program, utilize resources effectively, and establish measurable results.The ideal candidate is self-driven, a team player, and comfortable working within a flexible working environment. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate (verbally and in writing) their working needs clearly with their supervisors and other staff to ensure success. The ideal candidate understands that it is critical to uphold professional practices as a representative of GreenLatinos and its network during all work-related functions including travel, receptions, and events. Some administrative tasks will be required for this role, including supporting in reporting to funders on program delivery and metrics, as well as developing and organizing programmatic documentation utilizing CRM platforms.
The Climate Justice and Clean Air Advocate will report directly to the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program Director.
- Support digital programming including encuentros, policy forums, cultural events, virtual and in-person summits, and regional meet-ups under the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program.
- Coordinating social media requests, graphics needs, op-eds, funders reports and questions, and email support under the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program.
- Support the Program Director in managing quarterly Climate Justice and Clean Air Working Group meetings with GreenLatinos members.
- Support the drafting of communications materials including quarterly newsletters for the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program, under the direction of and guidance of the Program Director and Communications Manager.
- Represent and advocate from GreenLatinos priorities during coalition meetings and calls.
- Support the development and cultivation of a growing list of GreenLatinos members active and interested in climate justice and clean air issues.
- Identify actions based on current campaign/coalition activities for GL to take and work to execute including but not limited to Latinx Community Sign-on Letters, Policy Briefings, Member Education Tools (Action Alerts, Program Updates, Factsheets).
- Support scheduling, reporting and data entry under the Climate Justice and Clean Air Program.
- B.A. degree or equivalent work experience and 2+ years campaigning, organizing, or working in the climate and clean air policy space; master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Comfort and experience analyzing and synthesizing national and state/local policy in the climate, clean air and environmental justice space
- Experience working effectively with diverse communities and/or experience organizing and mobilizing support for a cause
- Dedication to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice in the environmental movement
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely via writing and verbally
- Must have an ID sufficient for travel
- A personal computer and mobile phone are critical tools for work
- Spanish speaking and writing fluency is preferred but not required
- Location Flexible - must maintain reasonable working hours that takes into consideration the various time zones of GreenLatinos staff
How to Apply
Required Application Documents to be emailed to Resumes@GreenLatinos.org with the subject line: Climate Justice and Clean Air Advocate Applications
- Writing Sample (1 page)
- Cover Letter
GreenLatinos is an equal opportunity employer and offers full health, vision and retirement benefits, a home office stipend, as well as a generous vacation policy for its employees. The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $70,000, depending on experience.
DEADLINE: Applicants must submit all information by May 27, 2022 . We will be reaching out to applicants as they come in on a rolling basis