Climate & Sustainability Member (part time) - Golden Gate National Recreation Area
San Francisco, CA
Type of Job
Aug 25, 2023
About the job
American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service, is seeking ONE part time Member to contribute to climate change and sustainability projects alongside NPS Staff at Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
For more information about ACE, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
For the full position announcement and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/1013290.html
Start Date: January 15, 2024
Estimated End Date: October 15, 2024
*a 20-week minimum commitment is required *
Please note that this position is part time ~ 20 hours per week.
Location Details/Description: Golden Gate Recreation Area/Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA
The position will be located at Fort Mason, along the northern bayfront of San Francisco. Fort Mason is a former army post that is now the headquarters for Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The site is a beautiful oasis nestled between neighborhoods with plenty of amenities (restaurants, grocery stores, and recreational activities).
Position Overview: The Sustainability Program of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area is dedicated to reducing the park’s carbon footprint and making the park a model for sustainability. The program engages both park staff and the public in education about sustainability and undertakes projects that make the park more sustainable.
The ACE Member will provide critical support in implementing the park’s newly-updated Climate Action Plan. The park is committed to making climate change response a major focus in the coming years, and the member will bring added support to launching several new initiatives. Major duties will include:
- Analyzing climate-related data (energy, fuel use, solid waste, etc) and developing recommendations based on highest potential for greenhouse gas reductions
- Developing education and outreach materials geared towards both park staff and visitors related to the park’s climate change goals
- Engaging in climate adaptation planning, compiling and synthesizing location-specific data on climate impacts
Schedule: This is a part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week) intended for a member who already has housing in the San Francisco Bay Area. The schedule is somewhat flexible, depending on the needs of the member, but will occur within the Mon-Fri, 9:00am – 5:00pm (Pacific time) window.
Much of the work will be done in an office setting, with periodic field work. There is some flexibility for telework from home.
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~20 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $300/week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a federal hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility, or view general information online https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
Housing: Housing is the responsibility of the member and not provided by ACE or NPS.
Provided Training/Orientation: ACE members will receive position specific training and an orientation outlining ACE policies and procedures, clear guidance on prohibited activities, and networks for support. SSpecific training may include required training for government computer users, as well as training on such tools as the NPS carbon-footprint calculator.
- Members must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, as required byU.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass the required two-part criminal history check
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members will need to complete bi-weekly timesheets, beginning of term feedback forms, end of term evaluations and for longer terms, a mid-term evaluation.
- Member may not participate in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement , please visit our website https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing a degree or certificate in Environmental Studies, Sustainability, or similar, and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such environmental management, sustainability data analysis, or climate change adaptation.
- Knowledge of sustainability principles and practices and climate change mitigation and adaptation is encouraged but not required.
- Ability and willingness to engage in data analysis and synthesis, and/or experience with communication and outreach. Interest in learning more about carbon footprint accounting.
- Computer experience with any or all of the following: Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel; ArcGIS; video-editing software; web design.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/1013290.html
This position was posted August 23, 2023. For priority consideration please apply before September 30, 2023 or ASAP. Initial interviews will be conducted in early October. Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. Please note that this external-site position announcement may be out of date. If a position posting is still open on the application link provided, then the position has not yet been filled and is still accepting applications.
If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC NPS Recruitment and Outreach Manager, Victoria Yee, email@example.com.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.