Climate & Forestry Intern
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
$20 per hour
Oct 24, 2022
About the job
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields, and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Justice (EDIJ) goals. Mohonk Preserve encourages applications from women, minorities and/or other underrepresented groups.
About the Position:
The Climate and Forestry Intern will assist with the development of a climate-adapted eastern hemlock forest management plan for ~1,000 acres of forest at the Mohonk Preserve. From January to May 2023 (approximately 10 hrs./week; may be completed remotely), the intern will assist with the spatial analysis of forest inventory and other relevant datasets (e.g., sensitive species presence, high use recreation areas, etc.) and drafting a management plan. The intern will also assist with drafting grant proposals for prescribed management activities.
Between May and August 2023, the intern will assist with collecting and analyzing pre-treatment stand data (approximately 35 hours/week; onsite). The position is supervised by the Applied Forest Ecologist and also requires working closely with other Conservation Programs and Mohonk Preserve staff.
This hourly, grant-funded position runs from approximately January - August 2023.
Temporary; grant-funded; Non-exempt
· Mohonk Preserve membership for the duration of the position
· Assist with analysis of eastern hemlock forest inventory data using statistical and GIS software
· Assist with creation of an eastern hemlock forest management plan, including stand prescriptions for ~1,000 acres of eastern hemlock-northern hardwood forest and hemlock-hardwood swamp
· Assist with the preparation of grant proposals for the implementation of management activities
· Establish pre-treatment monitoring plots in eastern hemlock stands
· Record, manage, and enter other scientific data relative to eastern hemlock forests
Desired Skills and Experience:
At Mohonk Preserve, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or have a less traditional background.
· Bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Experience in writing forest management plans and/or harvest plans
· Working knowledge of GIS including familiarity with ESRI ArcGIS products
· Strong data analysis skills including organization and statistics
· Familiarity with using forestry equipment including but not limited to wedge prisms, DBH tape, densitometer, compass, clinometer, and quadrats
· Excellent communication abilities including written, oral, and presentation skills
· Proficient computer skills - Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom)
· Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
o Survey 123 form design
o Experience with orthoimagery analysis
o Familiarity with Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) or other vegetation model simulator
o Strong knowledge of regional flora and fauna
o Knowledge base of the natural and cultural history of the region
o Bilingual background (Spanish/English)
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. Mohonk Preserve’s Conservation Programs department works primarily out of the Daniel Smiley Research Center in New Paltz, NY (on the property of Mohonk Mountain House). Mohonk Preserve offers hybrid work schedules at this time – coordinated with their supervisor and depending on the job, staff may be able to split time working remotely, as well as in the office and in-person on the land. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask per CDC guidelines: CDC Mask Guidance. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID-19 protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
· Ability to hike up to ten miles in a rugged outdoor environment carrying field equipment in all weather conditions
· Frequently works outdoors
· May require standing, walking, hiking, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
· Uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
How to Apply:
Applications accepted via e-mail only. Please submit in PDF format:
Cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references by November 14, 2022 to: email@example.com
Include in subject line “Climate & Forestry Intern”