Climate & Clean Energy Associate
Salt Lake City, Utah
Type of Job
Jun 3, 2022
About the job
POSITION SUMMARY: Utah Clean Energy is seeking a smart and passionate Climate & Clean Energy Associate to accelerate the decarbonization of our electricity supply in Utah and the West. This position supports communities in meeting their decarbonization goals, manages clean energy projects and programs, and participates in utility regulatory proceedings to accelerate renewable energy deployment.
ABOUT US: Utah Clean Energy is a nonprofit climate solutions organization based in Salt Lake City that advocates in Utah and the West. Our multi-disciplinary team is leading and accelerating the clean energy transformation with vision and expertise. We are committed to creating a future that ensures healthy, thriving communities for all, empowered and sustained by clean energy.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
• Work with a diverse set of partners to inform, educate, and build support for renewable energy, distributed generation, energy storage, and climate solutions in Utah and the West.
• Make compelling oral presentations and written briefings to policy makers, business stakeholders, community groups, and government representatives.
• Develop and provide technical analysis and review of renewable energy policies, statutes, and regulations at the state, federal, and local government levels.
• Coordinate with clean energy industry and renewable energy advocates in Utah and across the West.
• Manage projects and grant initiatives to support clean energy market development and progress towards state and local renewable energy and energy storage goals. o Provide strategic leadership to align Utah Clean Energy’s work with federal clean energy policies and opportunities.
o Oversee and track deliverables related to major renewable energy grant or funding initiatives.
o Assist with identifying possible funding opportunities and supporting grant proposal development.
• Build relationships and engage with a diverse set of community, government, academia, faith-based, and business partners to inform, educate, and build support for climate change and clean energy program via the Utah Climate Action Network, in conjunction with Utah Clean Energy’s Climate Scientist & Energy Analyst o In conjunction with Utah Clean Energy staff, provide technical support for local sustainability practitioners working to implement energy efficiency, renewable energy, building electrification, and transportation electrification policies and programming
o Coordinate and oversee interns in the delivery of key climate change and community engagement programs (including Utah Climate Action Network, Utah Sustainable Business Coalition, Summit Community Power Works)
o Organize community events and educational webinars, including leading and coordinating activities for Utah Climate Week
o Empower residents, business professionals, and community leaders to take action on climate change and leverage support for climate solutions
• Coordinate with team members and partners to ensure clean energy policies and programs are developed to be equitable and inclusive for Utah consumers and communities.
• Coordinate with Staff Attorney and other Utah Clean Energy staff to monitor, research, and support regulatory proceedings related to renewable energy, including distributed solar, utility-scale solar, battery storage, green power purchase programs, and long-term resource planning.
• Passionate about mitigating the climate crisis and creating a clean and equitable energy future for Utah and the West.
• Ideally, applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in economics, environmental studies, public policy, or related areas. Relevant utility and/or energy sector experience will be considered as a potential substitute for a degree.
• Experience with climate solutions, utility regulation, and/or renewable energy preferred.
• Demonstrated ability (2+ years) of providing technical and analytical expertise, engaging in creative problem solving, and working with diverse partners to build support for innovative solutions.
• Excellent communication, and writing skills, with the ability to rapidly assimilate and synthesize technical information.
• Demonstrated collaboration, networking and relationship-building skills with a variety of partners (such as policymakers, community and business leaders, and government agencies)
• Highly organized and self-directed, with the ability to work independently, while being flexible in a fast- paced, collaborative, and evolving environment.
• Ability to manage complex projects, meet deadlines, coordinate with internal and external team members, and track progress toward short and long-term deliverables.
• Desire to be a part of an influential team of professionals, who embrace high quality, impactful work, and a healthy work-life balance.
• Eager to take on a wide variety of tasks and help with all aspects of a small nonprofit organization, including nurturing relationships to support continued growth of the energy access and equity program.
• Commitment to Utah Clean Energy’s Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion goals and an interest in participating in shared learning activities offered by Utah Clean Energy.
Equity and social justice are critical components of Utah Clean Energy’s mission, values, and strategic pathways. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team. Learn more about our commitment here: https://utahcleanenergy.org/energy-equity/
Salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000 and is a full-time exempt position. Salary is dependent on relevant and demonstrated experience, with most candidates starting under or close to the mid-point of the salary range.
Utah Clean Energy’s benefits package includes company-paid health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan contributions, life & long- term disability insurance coverage, paid vacation leave, sick leave, holiday leave, and parental leave.
This position is based in Salt Lake City, Utah and provides the opportunity to work in a relaxed environment close to recreation opportunities throughout Utah.
TIMELINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
• Please email a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Position open until filled, with preference for applications received by June 13, 2022.
Utah Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination
with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, and disability