Chispa Maryland Community Organizer
Type of Job
Competitive on experience
About the job
General Description: Maryland League of Conservation Voters (Maryland LCV) and Maryland League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (Maryland LCV EF) are hiring a full-time Community Organizer for its Chispa Maryland program. Maryland LCV EF launched Chispa Maryland in 2014, a grassroots community organizing program to ensure Latinx families have strong leadership and power to identify and influence environmental and public health policies and decisions that affect their lives. Since then, Chispa Maryland has established itself as one of few environmental programs in the state with a strong and diverse grassroots community that is growing in capacity. Chispa Maryland has established relationships with environmental and social justice groups, and our volunteers and activists have become environmental leaders that have taken numerous actions to protect the health of their families and communities from environmental hazards such as harmful chemicals and air and water pollution.
The Chispa Maryland Community Organizer will engage and build leadership among Latinx, communities of color and youth in Maryland. The Community Organizer will conduct outreach to identify community members that are affected by environmental injustices and other environmental issues and will support them in building skills and capacity to advocate and lead efforts to fight environmental injustices, create social and economic opportunities, and protect their families, communities and the environment. We are looking for a creative, ambitious and experienced community organizer who is passionate about social change and justice, building individual and collective power and is goal driven. This position will report to the Organizing Manager and will work in close collaboration with other members of the staff.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with community organizations, leaders, and institutions, particularly among communities of color and other relevant communities;
- Reach out to and recruit volunteers through door-knocking, presentations, one-on-one’s and phone calls that identify new volunteers and members;
- Identify and create opportunities for building the engagement and leadership of members and support their growth and development;
- Support grassroots leaders to develop and implement work plans that result in them forming committees consisting of their friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers;
- Work with the Chispa Maryland team to develop and lead trainings that develop the skills and deepen the commitment of community members;
- Work closely with the Maryland LCV/EF team to develop, implement, and evaluate issue campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots leaders, and get the attention of decision makers and media;
- Work with the Chispa communications team to identify and develop powerful storytellers and media spokespeople from among the membership, and increase Maryland LCV/EF and Chispa’s online engagement and presence.
- 1-3 years experience working in grassroots community or labor organizing programs, including experience in programs that include volunteer outreach (canvassing, phone banking, house visits, etc.), training volunteers, monitoring goals, developing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups.;
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of communities of color in Maryland. Ability to conduct basic research to learn issues, develop a power analysis and political lay of the land, including the positions and values of policymakers;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment;
- Creative problem-solver who is resourceful during challenging or new situations;
- Strong communication skills. Bilingual in English and Spanish. Experience with Google Workspace (G Suite).
The ideal candidate also has:
- A deep commitment to environmental and equity and justice issues and an understanding of how issues of racial and economic justice impact Latinx and other communities of color in Maryland;
- A demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity and an understanding and awareness of differing identities;
- The ability to work across gender, race, ethnicity, inmigration status, socio-economic backgrounds and other identity lines;
- A shared commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture;
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
Salary and Compensation: Competitive non-profit salary range depending on qualifications and experience. The salary is accompanied by a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off, and a 401K plan with an employer match.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the organization is working from home. Outside of the pandemic the position is based in Annapolis with telecommuting options. The Chispa Maryland Community Organizer reports to the Organizing Manager.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and salary range to Ramon Palencia-Calvo at with Chispa Maryland Community Organizer in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled. Ideal start date is April 2021.
Maryland LCV, a 501(c)(4) organization activates Marylanders to promote and pass equitable laws and policies for clean water, healthy air, a resilient climate, and thriving communities. We hold elected officials accountable, and educate and endorse candidates for public office. The Maryland LCV Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports and amplifies a diverse and inclusive environmental movement across the state. Through outreach and education, the Education Fund supports communities disproportionately impacted by environmental injustices and builds grassroots field capacity for legislative advocacy and environmental issues. The Maryland LCV PAC is the organization that directly helps elect pro-conservation candidates.
Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Ed Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.