Chispa Florida Program Director
Tampa, Orlando, Kissimmee
Type of Job
$55,000 - $70,000
Oct 24, 2022
About the job
Chispa Florida Program Director
Status: Exempt, full-time
Location: Central Florida (Orlando, Kissimmee) or Tampa Bay
Reports to: FCV Executive Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: Chispa Community Organizers, Chispa Digital Organizer
General Description: Florida Conservation Voters (FCV) is a statewide advocacy organization that turns environmental values into local, state, and national priorities. We build political power to protect our environment, protect our democracy, and create a healthy and sustainable future for everyone. We do this by educating and organizing people to take action, holding elected officials accountable, winning elections, and advancing just environmental policies.
Chispa Florida, a program of FCV, utilizes the power of community organizing to build the voice and power of Latinx families to influence the environmental policies and decisions that affect their lives. Chispa members have taken leadership in the fights to keep rooftop solar affordable and accessible, converted dirty diesel school buses to clean electric fleets, cultivated policymakers representing communities of color as champions on environmental issues, demonstrated to Spanish-language media that the environment is a priority issue for Latinx families, and built strong relationships with social justice and environmental groups alike.
We are seeking a Chispa Program Director to join FCV and the Chispa Florida team. The Chispa Program Director will drive long-term stability and growth of the Chispa program, lead strategic planning, and enable Chispa staff to achieve their potential as drivers of transformational environmental impact. The Chispa Florida Program Director will be part of a leadership team at FCV who models workplace collaboration including high level skills in communication, knowledge sharing, and strategy. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, and experienced community leader who is goal-driven, passionate about social change and justice, and experienced in building individual and collective leadership and power. This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Core Job Responsibilities:
● Develop relationships and partnerships with community organizations, leaders, and institutions, particularly among communities of color, the health field, churches, schools, and other relevant communities.
● Lead, manage, and coach a strong, effective team of organizers to create initiatives that build power within the communities where we work as well as advance our long-term goals.
● Develop, implement, and evaluate issue campaigns that build a strong base of active volunteers and leaders; achieve local policy victories; form strong, creative partnerships with community organizations and leaders within communities of color; and get the attention of decision makers and the media.
● Develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies, as well as tactics and tools that engage and recruit new members and volunteers.
● Coach organizers in how to identify and develop relationships with organizations and leaders who can become effective partners.
● Collaborate with FCV’s communications team and LCV’s national Chispa communications staff to develop online campaign tools and earned and paid media that tell the story of our organizing and engage our volunteer base.
● Ensure that all program activities are properly tracked and that organizing teams have the skills and procedures to do so effectively.
● Collaborate closely with colleagues throughout FCV to ensure we are inclusive in base-building work across all programs.
● Manage Chispa’s long-term goals, plans, campaign-development, and budgets.
● Fundraise for the Chispa program, including assisting on applying for grants and conducting major donor meetings.
● Advise and collaborate with FCV Leadership Team on organizational priorities, legislative policy, and campaign development and implementation.
● Actively participate as a thought leader in the Conservation Voter Movement and be a contributor to building an inclusive organizational culture.
● Represent FCV during public speaking opportunities, networking events, partner meetings, media speaking engagements, and other events.
● 5+ years of experience working on community or labor organizing campaigns, including several years of direct supervisory, and staff and leader training experience. Must also have experience on issue campaigns driven by community organizing.
● Bilingual in English and Spanishand culturally competent with the diversity of communities of color in Florida.
● Extensive experience training and coaching community organizers and volunteers in organizing skills, political education, and grassroots building.
● Experience working across lines of race and class as well as building and maintaining relationships within the landscape of Latinx and people of color-led organizations and coalitions.
● Ability to create a culture of feedback, collaboration, and accountability among FCV teams and cultivate leadership and growth among organizing staff and volunteers.
● An understanding of environmental values as well as how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic inequality, sexism, homophobia, and other systems of oppression.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to write and implement training curriculum and organizing tools in English and Spanish.
● Strong organizational and time management skills, including an ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment to meet goals, produce results, and exceed expectations.
● Willingness to learn and the ability to be a creative problem-solver who is resourceful and resilient in challenging or new situations.
● Ability to work outside of stated office hours, mornings, nights and weekends, ability and willingness to travel in Florida and nationally, as needed.
● Fluency in EveryAction/VAN and Google Workspace.
● Community organizing experience working with Latinx communities and communities of color in Florida.
Location, Salary, and Benefits:
This is a full-time position based in Kissimmee, Orlando, or Tampa, Florida. The yearly salary ranges from $55,000 to $70,000 depending on experience and location. FCV provides full-time staff with benefits including vacation and sick time, a health reimbursement arrangement, and after two years of employment, a retirement savings plan.
Send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to be the Program Director of Chispa Florida to email@example.com. Please include “Chispa FL Program Director” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
FCV is an equal opportunity employer committed to racial justice, equity, and an inclusive workplace.