Chispa Florida Community Organizer
Florida (Kissimmee/Orange, Tampa Bay/Hillsborough, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade)
Type of Job
$40,000 - $50,000
Apr 13, 2021
About the job
Status: Exempt, full-time
Location: Kissimmee/Orange, Tampa Bay/Hillsborough, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade
General Description: Florida Conservation Voters (FCV) is a statewide advocacy organization that works to turn environmental values into local, state, and national priorities. We engage people in our democracy to protect our environment and create a healthy, sustainable future for all Floridians. We connect people to their political power by mobilizing people, winning elections, holding elected officials accountable, and advancing responsible public policies.
In 2014 our national affiliate, the League of Conservation Voters (LCV), launched Chispa (“chispa” translates to “spark” in English), which is a program that relies on community organizing to build the voice and power of Latinx families to influence the environmental policies and decisions that affect their lives. Chispa members have taken leadership in the fights to keep rooftop solar affordable and accessible, converted dirty diesel school buses to clean electric fleets, cultivated policymakers representing communities of color as champions on environmental issues, demonstrated to Spanish-language media that the environment is a priority issue for Latinx families, and built strong relationships with social justice and environmental groups alike.
We are seeking five Community Organizers to join the Chispa Florida team. Each Community Organizer will be tasked with engaging and building leadership among Latinx and other communities of color in Florida. The Community Organizer will conduct outreach to schools, churches, community centers and door-to-door to identify people who are affected by and care about the issues and will help people develop leadership skills in order for them to become powerful advocates and organizers within their own neighborhoods. We are looking for creative, ambitious, experienced community organizers who are goal-driven, passionate about social change and justice, and experienced in building individual and collective leadership and power. These are full-time, permanent positions.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Conduct new outreach to recruit volunteers through door-knocking, presentations, one-on-one’s and phone calls that identify new volunteers and members.
- Identify and create opportunities for building the engagement and leadership of members and support their growth and development.
- Support grassroots leaders to develop and implement work plans that result in them forming committees (comites) consisting of their friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers.
- Work with the Chispa Florida team to develop and lead training for members that develop their skills, analysis and commitment.
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the power dynamics and lay of the land for our campaigns and communities. Research decision makers, their interests and how to influence them.
- Track organizing progress meticulously in the database and submit reports on volunteer recruitment and cultivation.
- Work closely with the FCV’s policy, organizing, and communications teams to develop, implement and evaluate issue campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots leaders and get the attention of decision makers and media.
- Work closely with the FCV’s communications managers and digital organizers to increase online engagement and social media presence of our campaigns and programs.
- Identify and develop powerful storytellers and media spokespeople from among the membership, working with FCV’s communications team to develop and amplify their stories.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with community organizations, leaders, and institutions, particularly among communities of color, the health field, churches, schools and other relevant communities.
- Actively participate in the Civic Engagement Table/State Voices, as a thought leader and part of the organizing network within Florida and contribute to building an inclusive organizational culture at FCV.
- Work Experience: 1-3 years in grassroots community or labor organizing programs. Experience in programs that include volunteer outreach (canvassing, phone banking, house visits, etc.), training volunteers, monitoring goals, developing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups.
- Skills: Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of communities of color in Florida. Ability to conduct basic research to learn issues, develop a power analysis and political lay of the land, including the positions and values of local policymakers. Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Creative problem-solver who is resourceful during challenging or new situations. Experience with VAN, EveryAction, Google Business Suite, and Google Sheets/Excel is highly preferred. Bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Haitian Kreyol is required. Fluent speaking, reading, writing and translating skills desired.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about differences, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. An understanding of racial justice and the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Experience working across lines of race, immigration status, ethnicity, language, class, gender and other identities and experience.
- Conditions: Ability to work frequent evenings and weekends to attend community events and lead meetings; occasional travel required (approximately 4-6 times/year). Position requires a valid Florida driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Values: Must share our organizational commitment to centering racial justice and equity in the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Must share our strong belief in everyday peoples’ ability to affect change and in their fundamental right to be heard by decision-makers and to influence the policies and decisions that affect their community.
While FCV’s main office is located in Tallahassee, Florida, the positions will be allocated in the regions mentioned above.
Send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to be a community organizer with Chispa Florida to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Chispa FL Community Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience and geography, ranging from $40,000 to $50,000.
FCV is an equal opportunity employer committed to racial justice, equity, and an inclusive workplace.