Chaco Culture National Historical Park - Trails Assessment Technician
Chaco Canyon, NM
Type of Job
Jul 2, 2021
About the job
Title: Chaco Culture National Historical Park Trails Assessment Technician
Start/End Date: August 23rd, 2021 – November 12th, 2021
Stipend: $500/week (+Education Award)
Term: 12 weeks
Reports To: National Park Service, Chaco Canyon Historical Park
Location: 1808 county road 7950, New Mexico
Status: 450-hour AmeriCorps Service Term
Benefits: AmeriCorps Education Award $1,638.89 after successful completion, Housing within park is available (partial camping required).
Southwest Conservation Corps’ Mission
It is the mission of the Southwest Conservation Corps to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities, and the environment.
Join the Southwest Conservation Corps’ Individual Placement team by completing trail assessments for the National Park Service!
The National Park Service Preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. The Park Service cooperates with partners to extend the benefits of natural and cultural resource conservation and outdoor recreation throughout this country and the world.
This position will collaborate to perform trail condition assessments with the Facilities branch at Chaco Culture National Historical Park (CHCU). The individual will primarily focus on a complete Scope of Work (SOW) for all needed repairs. This would include the location and dimensions of any needed repairs or proposed improvements. It will also include identifying material type needed for subsequent repairs and a plan for sourcing those materials, whether they will have to be purchased or whether they can be sourced in the local area. If areas for material collection are found within park boundaries, GIS data will be required to identify those locations. Finally, this individual will help to prepare a written report with all this information including photos and locations of each project objective.
The main focus of this position will be assessing trails within the park. Essential functions include:
- Working independently or with an NPS representative to located trail heads, and hiking trails in the specified sequence to document conditions and work that needs completion.
- Keep detailed notes, pictures, and GPS/GIS data of trail conditions and work needed.
- CHCU staff will work directly with facilities division to complete this work. While completing this work, the individual will have ample opportunity to speak with leaders from different divisions as we work through scoping and compliance requirements.
- The selected candidate needs to be able to physically accomplish the tasks and be able to follow directions.
- This individual must have knowledge of trail building techniques, materials and repair methods.
- Proficiency with GPS software of varying manufacturers, and proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Certifications in Trail Building and Repair are preferred.
The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision after the initial training period. The applicant must be able to maneuver and operate in a mixture of office and field work. This can include long periods of standing or walking on rough, uneven ground, bending, crouching, and stooping. Prior to starting this position, a government security background clearance will be required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- S. CitizenshipPermanent Resident Card, INS form I-551
Alien Registration Card, INS form I-551
A passport indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
A departure record ( INS 194) indication that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- Driver's License
- The candidate must be age 21+
To apply, please submit an updated resume and letter of interest along with the online application at https://jobs.silkroad.com/ConservationLegacy/Careers/jobs/2824.
Contact Cait at email@example.com with any questions.