Type of Job
Jul 1, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
Our growing Finance department has a unique opportunity for someone to join our team in a newly created position to manage and grow our Treasury function to new heights. This position is based out of our headquarters office in Reston, VA (due to COVID-19 all NWF employees are working remotely until further notice).
This position is responsible for all aspects of National Wildlife Federation’s (NWF) cash management and short-term investment activities while maintaining appropriate controls and a high degree of accuracy. This position will play a key role in liquidity management, cash flow forecasting and reporting, short-term investment performance tracking, as well as other core treasury responsibilities. This position will also perform ad-hoc projects, tasks and analysis to help formulate strategies and support decisions, resolve issues or sustain other business needs related to cash management.
Principal Duties (major areas of responsibility):
- Monitor and manage daily cash position by predicting cash requirements through analysis of budgetary needs and financial reports.
- Manage NWF banking and investment broker relationships to meet organizational objectives.
- Develop strategies to optimize the cash position of NWF and minimize opportunity losses related to idle cash. Document and communicate strategy recommendations to the Controller and CFO.
- Work with Program Managers and Controller to forecast timing and amount of multi-year cash flow projections, such as the CA Wildlife Crossing project.
- Prepares monthly cash flow reports, and identifies and evaluates variances. Create cash and short-term investments dashboard for CFO.
- Develop investment and loan procedures by analyzing funding needs and surplus funds. Ensure compliance with line of credit requirements, reporting, and manage LOC utilization.
- Ensure that best cash management practices are in place, including establishing, improving and implementing cash management and treasury processes and procedures.
- Assist with periodic updates of the NWF operating cash and short-term investment policy.
- Provide support to the Controller and CFO regarding cash flow budget, reprojections, and reports needed for board committee updates and presentations.
- Manage the Federation’s insurance programs, including conducting regular policy reviews, coordinating policy renewals and applications, and distributing policy documents to other departments. Primary contact for insurance claims.
- Handles RFQs and related contract review and price negotiation, review of fees and interest payments, or any other costs associated with either debt or short-term investment administration. Evaluates summary comparisons with Controller and CFO.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet team objectives.
- Commits to understanding dimensions of diversity, and continuously builds greater cultural awareness.
Formal Education and/or Special Training Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics.
- CTP preferred.
- 5 years of related cash management and finance/investment experience, ideally in the not for profit industry.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent analytical skills and cash management/treasury knowledge.
- Understanding of accounting fundamentals.
- Ability to communicate financial concepts clearly and engage with diverse teams and groups as well as work independently.
- Attention to detail and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the Infor CloudSuite Financial system.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Coinbase cryptocurrency platform.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities to meet critical deadlines.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience, in the range of $80,000-$85,000.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.