Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
Low $40's/year, full benefits
Jan 15, 2022
About the job
Join the Mohonk Preserve Team!
Carriage Roads and Grounds Coordinator – Full-time
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals.
About the Position:
As a core member of the Stewardship department, the Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator (CRGC) is responsible for planning, managing, and executing stewardship and maintenance projects for Mohonk Preserve’s (Preserve) historic gravel carriage road infrastructure including carriage roads, bridges, parking areas, supporting buildings, drainage, and other land maintenance. The CRGC coordinates with various Preserve departments, volunteers, and outside organizations to maintain and repair the carriage road system.
The Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator work is hands-on and requires close coordination and collaboration with other Mohonk Preserve staff to achieve the organization’s mission and high standards of stewardship. Good collaboration, cooperation and communication with other Preserve departments and staff is paramount to the success of this position.
The Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator reports to the Director of Stewardship.
Low $40s per year; Mohonk Preserve membership for the duration of the position.
· Assist the Director of Stewardship with prioritization and implementation of carriage road projects as identified through the Preserve’s plans, policies, and procedures.
· Work with the Director of Stewardship and other staff to establish and implement annual Stewardship department work plans and budgets, determining when projects can be completed in-house or need to be outsourced.
· Oversee the general maintenance (organization/appearance/condition) of all Preserve carriage roads including but not limited to the following related structures: bridges, entry gates, drainage, educational sites along the carriage roads and vistas.
· Execute maintenance projects consistent with workplan related to the Preserve carriage roads and supporting infrastructure.
· Coordinate with volunteer groups to complete specific maintenance and minor construction projects.
· Assist the Director of Stewardship and the Preserve’s Grants Manager in the development of trail project funding proposals.
· Provide assistance to contractor-led projects by aiding design professionals and contractors related to the carriage roads including project bidding, awarding, materials sourcing, construction oversight.
· Support the Stewardship department’s efforts to manage and maintain the Preserve’s fleet vehicles and equipment, maintaining up-to-date records in the Preserve’s vehicle database.
· Assist with snow removal in designated areas (parking lots, trailheads, facilities) including operation of snow removal equipment and coordination of other staff and outside contractors.
· Support Preserve search and rescue, and wildland firefighting operations.
· The CRGC oversees the work tasks of the Seasonal Carriage Road & Groundskeeper.
· Perform other related duties to support the Stewardship department and Preserve as assigned by the Director of Stewardship.
· This position requires occasional irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays for events, snow removal, and emergencies in cooperation with other staff.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Education and/or Experience:
A. Bachelor’s degree with studies in Recreation Resource, Natural Resources Management, Facilities, Construction, Project Management or other related field or trade preferred, OR
B. An Associate degree with studies in Recreation Resource, Natural Resources Management, Facilities, Construction, Project Management, or other related field and three (3) years of experience, OR
C. Five (5) years of experience in related trades. This could include knowledge, experience and skills in landscaping, construction and carpentry, building systems management (e.g., building codes, environmental regulations, safety standards), vehicle operation and maintenance, and small equipment operation and repair.
· Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license and certificates appropriate to the vehicles, equipment and/or machinery operated at time of appointment or during employment.
· Extensive knowledge of trail maintenance, design, and construction techniques for a variety of non-motorized trails.
· Proven ability to plan, organize, schedule, and manage multiple projects.
· Ability to perform strenuous labor and to safely operate and maintain a variety of hand and mid-sized power equipment (including but not limited to chainsaws, brush mowers, skid steer, tractors, grading equipment, rollers, mini excavators.
· Work for extended periods of time outdoors in all types of weather conditions alone.
· Proficient computer skills - ability to use email, Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom).
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to work well with the public, representing the values and mission of Mohonk Preserve.
· First-Aid/CPR mandatory.
· Physical ability to travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions on unimproved trails, carrying up to 40 pounds of gear.
o Wilderness First Aid or Responder/CPR for the Professional Rescuer
o Basic GIS & database management experience
o Supervisory experience
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position will be based out of the Preserve’s Undercliff House (aka Ranger Station) adjacent to the Visitor Center. This position is primarily an on-site, outdoors position. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
- Health, Life, Disability Insurance
- Dental & Vision Plans
- 403B Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Annuity available upon hire
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Paid Vacation and 12 ½ paid Holidays
- Sick Time (60 days) and Personal Days (3 days)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistant Program
- Comp and Flex Time
- Access to lands and activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask while working indoors, including in all Preserve facilities and vehicles, and while working outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. In addition, at this time and until CDC recommendations change, all staff in counties the CDC identifies as having “substantial” and “high” COVID transmission rates must wear masks indoors (unless alone in a closed office) and outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing regardless of vaccination status. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
· Uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
· Frequently works outdoors for extended periods performing strenuous physical labor
· Driving vehicles and equipment
· Operates a variety of hand and mid-sized power equipment
· Standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
· Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Email preferred: Send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (include phone and email) to arrive by February 10, 2022 to: email@example.com
Or by mail to:
Chuck Reid, Director of Stewardship, Mohonk Preserve, PO Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561
The anticipated start date of this position is early April 2022.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.