Cannon Maintenance Member - Castillo de San Marcos National Monumentv
Saint Augustine, FL
Type of Job
Mar 17, 2023
About the job
American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service, is seeking two Cannon Maintenance Members to contribute to historic preservation projects alongside Castillo de San Marcos National Monument (CASA) Staff.
For the full position announcement and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/942876.html
Start Date: Ideally April 2023 (flexibility is available for the right candidate)
Estimated End Date: 26 weeks after start date*
A 26-week minimum commitment is required.
*Please note: This is a somewhat flexible position, slated to serve approximately 15-20 hours per week beginning in April 2023, with an expectation of full-time 40 hours per week in the summer. Position may last more than 26 weeks, depending on the number of hours completed each week.
Location Details/Description: Castillo de San Marcos National Monument (CASA) - Saint Augustine, FL
Built by the Spanish in St. Augustine to defend Florida and the Atlantic trade route, Castillo de San Marcos National Monument preserves the oldest masonry fortification in the continental United States and interprets more than 450 years of cultural intersections.
For more information about Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, please visit www.nps.gov/casa.
For more information about ACE, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
Position Overview: This position will include inspecting, cleaning, painting and waxing historic bronze and iron cannons. Cannons will be sanded by hand with sandpaper and completely painted with a brush. Cannons may need to be lifted by a hoist mechanism, but training and assistance will be provided. Duties involve the use of oil-based paints, mineral spirits, and waxes.
In addition, duties may include painting other historic iron elements at the fort and performing conservation tasks on museum objects. If time allows, members may also be asked to curate temporary museum exhibits and give informal interpretive talks about the museum objects and cannons. Duties will primarily be performed outdoors at the Castillo in St. Augustine, Florida and at Fort Matanzas National Monument, 14 miles south of downtown St. Augustine.
Environmental conditions may include extremely high temperatures and humidity in the summer. Almost all duties are to be done outdoors in hot and humid conditions.
This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. This could include gaining experience in different conservation fields and shadowing different work groups.
Schedule: This is a somewhat flexible position, slated to serve approximately 15-20 hours per week beginning in April 2023, with an expectation of full-time 40 hours per week in the summer. Position may last more than 26 weeks, depending on the number of hours completed each week. Full-time schedule is Monday -Friday, 7am-3:30pm (except federal holidays); part-time hours must be during this time frame as well. No work on weekends or federal holidays will be allowed.
Living Allowance: The ACE Member may serve part-time or full-time depending on their availability in the spring. They are expected to contribute ~40 hours/week during the summer and will receive a living allowance $300-$600/week (or equivalent to $15/hr) depending on their part-time or full time status. The living allowance is intended to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
AmeriCorps Education Award Program: This position may be eligible for an 900-hour AmeriCorps Education Award while serving under the EAP 2022/23 grant year program, valued up to $3,247.50 upon successful completion of the complete service term and 900 hrs.
Loan Forbearance: AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for federal loan forbearance. Additional enrollment steps are required.
Qualifying Child Care Coverage: AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for qualifying child care coverage. Additional enrollment steps are required.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a federal hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility, or view general information online https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
Housing: Housing is the responsibility of the member and not provided by ACE or NPS.
Provided Training/Orientation: ACE members will receive position specific training and an orientation outlining ACE policies and procedures, clear guidance on prohibited activities, and networks for support.
- Members must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, as required by U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass the required three-part criminal history check.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members will need to complete bi-weekly timesheets, beginning of term feedback forms, end of term evaluations and for longer terms, a mid-term evaluation.
- The Member may not participate in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement or as defined by AmeriCorps.
- To learn more about eligibility requirements, please visit our website https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such as history, historic preservation, metal working, interior painting or studio art.
- Ability and willingness to learn the history of the Castillo de San Marcos and its artillery; learn about historic preservation; informally communicate with the public about the project.
- Interest in U.S. and Florida history, military history, historic preservation.
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions:
- Physical Demands: Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, carrying, using hands to handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, talking and hearing. Manual dexterity required for use of various tools, paintbrushes, sandpaper, and getting paint neatly into small crevices. Required to stoop, kneel, lie on back, climb stairs, and/or crouch.
- Vision Requirements: Requires close, distance, peripheral and depth perception vision as well as the ability to focus.
- Weight Lifted or Force Exerted: Frequently moves up to 30 lbs., ability to move up to 40 pounds.
- Environmental: Outdoor and indoor conditions. Work environment conditions can change frequently; working under adverse weather conditions and in various climates. Environmental work conditions may include extremely high temperatures and humidity in the summer
- Fumes: Duties involve the use of oil-based paints, mineral spirits, and waxes..
- Noise Environment: Moderate noise such as boat traffic and light automobile traffic.
- Travel: This position does not require unique travel.
Environmental Conditions/Hazards: The ACE member(s) may encounter environmental conditions/hazards including extreme heat or cold, biting insects, and potentially dangerous wildlife. The member is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as not to endanger self, fellow staff/members or resources.
Vehicle and Equipment Use/Safety: If a vehicle is required for the accomplishment of the duties, one will be provided by the NPS or ACE. Vehicle use includes NPS-owned golf carts to move supplies from the maintenance staging area to the fort. Necessary training will be provided and a valid driver’s license is required. Any tools required for the accomplishment of the duties will be provided by the NPS. Use of personal protective equipment (PPE), typically provided by the NPS, will be mandatory for any activity that requires it. Strict adherence to NPS and ACE equipment training, certification and safety protocols is required.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here:https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/942876.html.
For priority consideration, please apply ASAP or by March 29th, 2023. This position may close at any time. Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. Please note that this external-site position announcement may be out of date. If a position posting is still open on the application link provided, then the position has not yet been filled and is still accepting applications.
If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC NPS Recruitment Manager, Victoria Yee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.