Cambridge, MA or Washington, DC
Type of Job
Dec 1, 2021
About the job
Climate & Energy Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
Cambridge, MA or Washington, DC
The worsening effects of climate change and persistent systemic racism make it clear: we need intersectional climate action now. But the fossil fuel industry and its money stand in the way of the progress we’re trying to make. The Climate Accountability team at the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) works to remove Big Oil as a barrier to the just and equitable climate and energy policies we need. We’re challenging some of the most powerful and well-resourced corporations in the world, and we’re looking for a Campaign Organizer to join our team.
As the Campaign Organizer, you will mobilize scientists, experts, and a network of over half a million supporters and activists to support our campaigns; coordinate with key coalitions and networks; help develop and maintain strategic partnerships; and increase the visibility of UCS research, analysis, and public-facing messages through social and traditional media channels. The ideal candidate will be able to develop and implement outreach plans and activities to advance our team’s goals.
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
- Conceive of, develop, and implement outreach tactics to further Climate Accountability Campaign goals, in coordination with team leaders
- Mobilize UCS activists, experts, and donors to take online and offline action on campaign tactics, including through emails, social media, web content, webinars, and blogs
- Represent UCS in coalitions working on similar issues, maintain existing relationships and cultivate new relationships, including with partners who work in Spanish, that will help UCS partner more effectively on issues of environmental and climate justice.
- Work with your teammates and UCS communications staff to develop and implement local, state, regional, trade, and social media strategies in both English and Spanish for the campaign
- Participate in events and conferences to promote UCS
- Plan and facilitate events, including webinars and briefings for target constituencies, decision-makers, and the media; subject matter convenings; training for UCS supporters; and UCS receptions
- Recruit and engage experts and supporters (both English and Spanish speaking) for the campaign, especially among diverse and historically underrepresented communities
- Support organizational learning on issues of justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Stay informed about issues related to the Accountability campaign and other UCS work
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years of relevant experience, including at least 2 years at a comparable level;
- Experience with grassroots organizing and online and offline mobilization tools;
- Strong skills in writing and presenting for diverse audiences;
- Significant self-motivation, strong time management, excellent administrative and organizational skills, careful attention to detail, and interpersonal skills;
- The ability to work both independently and in teams in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines;
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Willingness to learn about our issues.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with partners, with an emphasis on racial and social justice-focused organizations;
- Spanish language proficiency;
- Understanding of climate and energy issues, public interest advocacy campaigns, and corporate campaigns.
Little or no exertion; may require extended periods at a computer. May occasionally lift and carry boxes of supplies or publications.
When not in a pandemic, the position may require occasional overnight travel.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA or Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $54,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment that is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic, our staff is working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. Apply here: https://apply.workable.com/j/EC7EDF2F61
Deadline: January 2, 2022, or until filled.