Campaign Manager, Watershed Advocacy
Mt. Pocono, PA
Type of Job
Apr 1, 2021
About the job
PennFuture’s mission is to lead the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We protect our air, water, and land, and empower citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations. Working throughout the Commonwealth, PennFuture’s team of attorneys, policy experts, organizers, communications specialists, and advocates watchdog against polluters and environmental injustices, educate the public, and advance pro-environment policies.
PennFuture seeks a Campaign Manager to oversee the work and coordination of PennFuture’s Upper Delaware River Basin campaigns to provide a well-rounded and robust movement for clean water protections and special protection waters throughout the region. They will lead bold, sophisticated, and integrated campaigns that will grow a diverse constituency in Pennsylvania’s portion of the Upper Delaware River watershed, while advocating for sound policy and regulatory solutions to improve water quality in the region.
In particular, the Campaign Manager is responsible for developing, managing, and leading campaigns to support special protection waters and Pennsylvania’s stream redesignation process. Our most urgent regional campaigns—including the Our Pocono Waters Campaign—are in the Poconos region, where the environmental issues are complex, lawmakers and many stakeholders are entrenched, scientists and bureaucrats struggle over how to address water quality, and resources are scarce.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
PennFuture knows that in order to achieve our mission, we need to ensure that all Pennsylvanians have equitable access to clean air, clean water, a stable climate, and a clean and sustainable economy. We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organizational culture, policies, practices, and programs. Like the environmental and conservation movement writ large, we have historically fallen short in our efforts to build a truly equitable Pennsylvania. Our vision is to center equity and justice in everything we do as well as to combat systems of oppression and injustices that have long harmed Pennsylvania’s environmental justice communities.
· Develop and lead advocacy campaigns to advance PennFuture’s work in the Upper Delaware River watershed, including acting as a public spokesperson for the campaigns
· Leverage PennFuture’s outreach, policy, communications/media, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of cohesive, integrated campaigns
· Elevate awareness of threats to water quality and emerging pollution issues in the Delaware River Basin with priority in the upper basin and Pocono’s region, including developing interactive maps or lists of special protection waters in the region
· Work with PennFuture’s media team to craft campaign communications, including e-mails, action alerts, digital content, and social media posts; draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces
· Build a diverse constituency—including communities of color, immigrant communities, low-income communities and other traditionally underserved communities, as well as business interests, such as outdoor recreation companies—to advocate for regulatory and policy solutions to improve water quality in the watershed
· Elevate the disproportionate impact of these water quality threats on communities of color, immigrant communities, low-income communities and other traditionally underserved communities in PennFuture’s campaigns
· Collaborate with and organize PennFuture’s partners and other stakeholders to support implementation of campaigns, ensuring stakeholders represent communities of color, immigrant communities, low-income communities, and other traditionally underserved communities
· Represent PennFuture as the State Lead for the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed in Pennsylvania by convening partners to work on water issues
· Educate decision-makers and the general-public about the importance of clean water protections, environmental, and environmental justice threats and how communities of color are disproportionately harmed without these protections; occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies
· Interpret complex scientific and policy information for consumption by target audiences through media work and writing fact sheets, reports, white/briefing papers, testimony, and other strategic communications
· Community outreach, event tabling, and perform other project and administrative duties, as directed
· Provide guidance to PennFuture’s legal, regulatory, and field teamwork in the Delaware watershed, as appropriate
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
· Strong commitment to PennFuture’s mission and demonstrated commitment to advancing environmental protection with vision and results
· Commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and employing that in all their work
· Minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience
· Knowledge of and experience with at least one of the following issues: Clean Water Act, PA Clean Streams Law, PA environmental regulations
· Proven success in campaign development, implementation, and leadership, with a demonstrated ability to develop strong, authentic relationships with BIPOC, low-income and immigrant communities preferred
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills
· Experience working with, or an enthusiastic willingness to learn how to work with, a diverse representation of stakeholders, advocacy organizations, and elected officials
· Ability to work quickly, independently, and proactively on project and campaign developments
· Ability to travel and to maintain a flexible work schedule; be willing to work some evenings and/or weekends, as needed
· ArcGIS and/or mapping skills preferred, but not required
LOCATION, SALARY, AND BENEFITS:
This position is based out of PennFuture’s Mt. Pocono office, though some telecommuting is an option for this position. Please note that depending on the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, PennFuture’s offices will be closed through at least July 6, 2021.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $48,000 – $58,000. Benefits package includes health care, dental, vision, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, and a 403(b)-retirement plan.
PennFuture encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the environmental community, including people of color, and persons with nontraditional work and educational experience. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
The deadline to apply for this position is Friday, April 23, 2021.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, short 1-2 page writing sample, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “DRB CAMPAIGN MANAGER” in the subject line. Phone calls will not be accepted.