Campaign Manager, Philadelphia
Type of Job
Apr 16, 2021
About the job
PennFuture’s mission is to lead the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We protect our air, water, and land, and empower residents to build sustainable communities for future generations. Working throughout the Commonwealth, PennFuture’s team of attorneys, policy experts, organizers, communications specialists, and advocates watchdog against polluters and environmental injustices, educate the public, and advance pro-environment policies.
PennFuture seeks a Campaign Manager to oversee PennFuture’s work in Philadelphia, where they will lead bold, sophisticated, and integrated campaigns that will grow a diverse constituency in Philadelphia to improve environmental outcomes in the city, including water quality, green stormwater infrastructure, and climate mitigation and resiliency.
This position has a unique opportunity to shape the future of PennFuture’s strategy, priorities, and team in Philadelphia. Currently, PennFuture’s Philadelphia priorities are focused on clean water advocacy, green stormwater infrastructure, climate change, and green economy-related issues through its Keep Philly Green + Water Clean campaign. PennFuture is looking for a Campaign Manager who might also develop a broader campaign for a green and just recovery in the city as a pathway out of the pandemic and economic downturn.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
PennFuture knows that in order to achieve our mission, we need to ensure that all Pennsylvanians have equitable access to clean air, clean water, a stable climate, and a clean and sustainable economy. We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organizational culture, policies, practices, and programs. Like the environmental and conservation movement writ large, we have historically fallen short in our efforts to build a truly equitable Pennsylvania. Our vision is to center equity and justice in everything we do as well as to combat systems of oppression and injustices that have long harmed Pennsylvania’s environmental justice communities.
- Develop and lead Philadelphia advocacy campaigns to advance PennFuture’s green stormwater, climate, watershed, and sustainability work, and assist with other initiatives
- Develop and manage one full-time Campaign Coordinator position to support PennFuture’s Philadelphia campaigns
- Work as part of a coordinated interdepartmental team in Philadelphia to achieve PennFuture’s objectives, including collaborating with legal and communication staff
- Build a diverse constituency—including communities of color, immigrant communities, low-income communities and other traditionally underserved communities—to advocate for regulatory and policy solutions to improve environmental outcomes in Philadelphia
- Leverage PennFuture’s policy, communications, legal, and organizing staff and expertise, as needed, to support implementation of cohesive, integrated campaigns
- Act as the chief liaison with Philadelphia City Council and executive branch officials on campaign policy issues, including building legislator relationships, attending hearings and meetings, as well as keeping on top of city political issues
- Elevate the disproportionate impact of these water quality threats on communities of color, immigrant communities, low-income communities and other traditionally underserved communities in PennFuture’s campaigns
- Interpret complex scientific and policy information for consumption by target audiences by writing fact sheets, reports, white/briefing papers, blogs, social media posts, testimony, and other strategic communications
- Community outreach, event tabling, and perform other project and administrative duties, as directed
- Represent PennFuture with the media and media events
- Provide guidance to PennFuture’s legal, regulatory, and field team on Philadelphia policy issues, as appropriate
- Increase the number of grasstops and partners willing to participate in campaigns; recruit and manage members, supporters and volunteers
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Strong commitment to PennFuture’s mission and demonstrated commitment to advancing environmental protection with vision and results
- Commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and employing that in all their work
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience. Supervisory, management, or mentorship experience preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of and experience with at least one of the following issues: green stormwater infrastructure, Philadelphia policy processes, engaging with communities or elected officials on environmental issues
- Proven success in campaign development, implementation, and leadership, with a demonstrated ability to develop strong, authentic relationships with BIPOC, low-income and immigrant communities preferred
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with, or an enthusiastic willingness to learn how to work with, a diverse representation of stakeholders, advocacy organizations, and elected officials
- Ability to work quickly, independently, and proactively on project and campaign developments
- Ability to travel and to maintain a flexible work schedule; be willing to work some evenings and/or weekends, as needed
LOCATION, SALARY, AND BENEFITS:
This position is based out of PennFuture’s Philadelphia office, though some telecommuting is an option for this position. Please note that depending on the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, PennFuture’s offices will be closed through at least July 6, 2021.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $52,000 – $62,000. Benefits package includes health care, dental, vision, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, and a 403(b)-retirement plan.
PennFuture encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the environmental community, including people of color and persons with nontraditional work and educational experience. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
The deadline to apply for this position is Friday, May 7th, 2021.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, short 1-2 page writing sample, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please write “PHILADELPHIA CAMPAIGN MANAGER” in the subject line. Phone calls will not be accepted.