Business Development Asscoiate
Type of Job
Oct 13, 2022
About the job
Sol Systems’ Trading team is seeking a Business Development Associate to join our team in our Washington, D.C. headquarters. This position will report to the Senior Director of Environmental Commodities Strategy and work closely with the Trading, Policy, Research and Asset Management teams. The position is ideal for someone in the early to mid-level stages of their career and is wanting to gain hands-on business development experience and foster customer/channel partner relationships. The ideal candidate is looking to join a growing company, work in an entrepreneurial environment, and help expand market share for Sol’s Aggregation platform via installer relationships in PJM and NEPOOL RPS programs as well as help Sol expand into new environmental commodity products.
Sol Systems is a solar energy project development and financial services company with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base. We have financed or developed over $2 billion of solar energy assets to date. As a leading renewable energy developer, financier, trader and operator, Sol empowers entrepreneurs to have a meaningful impact on the world with a focus on catalyzing the development and operation of sustainable infrastructure.
The company is composed of three business units, each designed to deliver value to the renewable energy landscape and build long-term value for the company collaboratively: Sol Aggregation & Trading, Sol Customer Solutions and Sol Fund & Asset Management. The company remains primarily employee owned and is led by its founders.
Sol Aggregation & Trading (“Trading”), is the oldest division at Sol, founded in 2008. The Trading team is an innovative market maker and has helped create multiple state solar renewable energy credit (SREC) markets through the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. The Trading team has also raised capital with institutional and individual investors for solar projects and energy credit investing. Trading manages multiple renewable energy certificate (“REC”) portfolios and maintains one of the oldest and largest SREC aggregation businesses in the U.S.
- Be an Ambassador for Sol Systems and build channel partnerships with installers, developers, project / portfolio owners, and others
- Work with SREC Asset Management to set challenging but achievable growth targets in SREC markets
- Help design execution strategies to meet growth targets
- Conduct market research to provide Sol Systems with a clear vision into opportunities
- Drive portfolio growth through execution of strategies
- Lead data tracking and development of Salesforce or other CRM tools
- Lead data reporting to SREC Asset Management and Executive Management
- Stay up to date on market policy changes and other dynamics and be able to effectively communicate that to SAM team and external stakeholders
- Stay up to date on SREC pricing trends and help advise Sol Trading on new SREC product structures that would be attractive to customers and partners
- Help analyze opportunities for expansion into new product areas
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Strong understanding of solar and energy markets
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Experience or strong interest in originating new partnerships with channel partners, installers, developers, system owners or investors
- Phone and e-mail etiquette. Comfortable on the telephone for multiple hours a day
- Possess a basic understanding of trading and/or aggregation products
- Understanding of solar financial products
- Drive and flexibility to work at and build up a small but growing business
- Strong interest to make an impact in the solar industry
- Creative problem solver
- Hungry to build something that you will own
- Proficiency in Salesforce
- Proficiency in Power BI
Location & Hours: This is a full-time role and will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Deadline: We hope to hire for these positions immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other traits. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.