Building Energy Engineer – Modeler I
Denver, CO, United States
Type of Job
Oct 20, 2021
About the job
Group14 Engineering, PBC is a 48-person engineering consulting firm committed to improving the energy, resource efficiency and health effects of the built environment. We provide building certification consulting, commissioning, energy modeling and existing building services. We are focused on providing a workplace culture that fosters excellent work while maintaining a work-life balance. We embrace diversity and inclusion and we strive to provide an environment where everyone can feel they belong. We are committed to ensuring that our company includes a wide range of experiences, perspectives, and skills to provide better solutions, drive innovation and creativity, and enhance decision making. We are a Certified B Corporation and Just Organization. We have been recognized as “Best for the World” by B Lab for the Environment. Our LEED Platinum office is located east of downtown Denver in the historic Uptown neighborhood.
Our Energy Modeling Team works mostly in Colorado on exciting and challenging projects that include affordable housing, market-rate multifamily housing, offices, healthcare, educational and institutional buildings, and recreation center. We are hiring a self-motivated and creative Energy Engineer with excellent technical and written & verbal communication skills. We are looking for an individual with a strong commitment to energy efficiency, customer service and a responsible work ethic.
· 2+ years of experience with commercial buildings, preferably experience in building energy modeling, design engineering, MEP Coordination, and/or mechanical contracting.
· Working knowledge of commercial HVAC, plumbing, and building control systems.
· Experience with building energy modeling
Other Desired Qualifications
· Undergraduate degree in mechanical or architectural engineering from an accredited program.
· Working knowledge of commercial HVAC, lighting, plumbing, and building control systems.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially spreadsheet and word processing tools.
· Able to effectively prioritize multiple tasks, excellent organization, and time management skills.
· Additional skills that are a plus include energy modeling with OpenStudio/EnergyPlus, eQuest, Bluebeam, advanced excel proficiency, and programming skills in VBA or other relevant languages and tools.
· Knowledge of heat transfer, thermodynamics and building systems (e.g. HVAC and lighting) field
· Develop computer modeling of energy, daylighting and thermal performance of buildings and building assemblies, and communicate analysis results in written reports
· Update energy simulations as the design progresses
· Perform ASHRAE 62 calculations for outdoor air requirements
· Prepare modeling reports and calculations for LEED submissions
· Review design documents (plans, specifications, shop drawings) as they are developed to ensure that the intended energy efficiency measures are being incorporated into the design
· Analyze effectiveness and provide input on energy conservation and renewable energy strategies, and make recommendations for cost effective improvements to building energy systems.
This is a full-time position and offers the following benefits:
· Salary range: $55,000-$70,000
· Annual bonuses
· Retirement plan with socially responsible investment options and company match
· Health insurance and life insurance
· Short-term and long-term disability insurance
· Family leave
· 10-paid holidays, plus paid personal-time off
· Paid volunteer time
· Alternative transportation payment (e.g. get paid to ride your bike, walk, etc.)
· Flexible schedules
· Annual education stipend and professional memberships
· Annual company retreat with families
· Cell phone reimbursement
· Charitable giving policy
Please include the following in your correspondence:
A. A cover letter that includes:
1. An overview of your key strengths, both professionally and personally.
2. The reasons you feel you would be a terrific addition to the Group14 team.
B. Your resume.
C. A writing sample.
D. Any additional information you feel is beneficial in our understanding of you and your work.
Submit your cover letter and resume to Maria Pinon, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Energy Engineer - Modeler” in the subject line. Successful applicants will be called to schedule a phone interview. After a successful phone interview, an in-person interview will be scheduled.
Group14 is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, color, creed, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, military obligation, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. It is therefore our policy and practice to provide equal opportunity to all job applicants and employees in all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, discipline and termination.