Type of Job
$70,000 - $80,000
Apr 19, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we are seeking a Budget Analyst to assist the Chief Financial Officer and the Sr. Manager/Budget and Reporting in coordinating the annual budget and monthly re-projection processes. The Budget Analyst will work with budget managers to ensure the annual budget and monthly projections are accurate within planned guidelines and entered correctly in i-Budget (web-based budget and reporting system). The position will update financial reports, including but not limited to the Board budget and trimester performance reports, and assist the Sr. Manager with other financial analysis, reports and presentations as requested. The position follows up with departments on action items from budget discussions to ensure completion.
This position is based at NWF’s Headquarters in Reston, VA (due to COVID-19 all NWF employees are working remotely until further notice).
Principal Duties (major areas of responsibility):
- Build effective working relationships with key program and department staff to gain and maintain an understanding of their programs and businesses.
- Assist budget managers in developing annual budgets and monthly projections in line with the organization’s goals while properly utilizing our financial tools.
- Participate in monthly meetings with key staff to ensure revenue and expense projections (including staffing/salaries) are accurate and within planned guidelines. Follow-up on action items from these discussions, including revenue/expense reclasses.
- Assist the Senior Manager with monitoring program and revenue areas financial activity through monthly meetings and performance reports.
- Coordinate and consolidate budgets and monthly reprojections, review for accuracy and consistency, and identify any problem areas.
- Update reporting documents that meet the needs of internal management.
- Work with departments to complete deliverables for annual audit as assigned (includes joint cost exercise).
- Assist with maintaining web-based budget system (i-Budget), security, and databases.
- Train program and department staff on core and specialized financial monitoring systems and processes including but not limited to budgets and its related systems; recording financial transactions in accounting systems; restricted revenue accounting, management reporting and financial presentation.
- Coordinate with Senior Financial Systems Administrator on inputs for capital budget.
- Other related duties to advance team goals and assist the Chief Financial Officer and Controller with ad-hoc special projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
- 3-5 years applicable budget and financial analysis experience, preferably with a non-profit
- Demonstrable skill in creating and tracking budgets and expenses
- Proficiency in budget and data analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Well-organized and strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or in concert with team to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly strong Excel skills
- Familiarity with Oracle Hyperion and Essbase databases, or willingness to learn
- Able to handle confidential information
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Compensation and Benefits:
This position pays between $70,000 - $80,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.