Boston Senior Organizer
Boston (hybrid – with significant in-person work and a home-based office)
Type of Job
$59,992 to $70,900
May 5, 2023
About the job
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate crisis. We are seeking a talented and passionate organizer to join our Massachusetts team and help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and allies stepping up in big ways to take action for climate justice. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic organizer.
Reports to: MA Organizing Manager
Location: Boston (hybrid – with significant in-person work and a home-based office)
Job Summary: The Massachusetts Senior Organizer builds community teams that carry out effective campaigns to move decision makers to make child-centered climate justice decisions. You will help us focus resources particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized. We have passionate volunteer-led teams across Massachusetts, advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy, and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement. As the Senior Organizer, you will work to build teams who carry out effective campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions through a climate-justice lens.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support and strengthen community-based/volunteer-empowered Mothers Out Front teams to undertake impactful campaigns that build the engagement and leadership of mothers from diverse ethnic, racial and socio-economic backgrounds to solve our climate crisis at the local and state level.
- Recruit new volunteers and members to join Mothers Out Front through outreach tactics such as door knocking, phone banks, one-on-one meetings, attending local events and more.
- Develop and execute organizing, base-building, and policy-driven campaigns with our four community teams in the City of Boston; work with our member leaders and state Organizing Manager to diversify leadership and participation within those teams, and build stronger alliances with local organizations to advance climate justice wins.
- Provide strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams. Help them to develop strategic campaign plans, actions and materials; set and meet goals; ensure the campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress toward the elimination of fossil fuels with a climate justice lens.
- Support member leaders and volunteers of Mothers Out Front to develop relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders.
- Attend local team meetings, help facilitate the meetings, and oversee logistics and outreach.
- Participate and train volunteer members to participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase our visibility; establish a working relationship with key decision-makers, funders, media and other stakeholders in your state to move the campaign work forward.
- Ensure that key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers participating in campaign events, and more) is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are effectively maximizing the database.
State and National Impact
Support our robust and growing statewide constituency of mothers by periodically taking a lead role in some of the following state and national activities:
- Coordinate occasional “Climate Action Calls” to engage members virtually across the state in simple collective actions.
- Provide training and support to members on the use of digital tools, including Google Groups and NationBuilder.
- Participate in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with development staff to meet membership goals and providing relevant data, as needed.
- Recruit members to serve on state and national teams.
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years of experience planning, executing and evaluating strategic campaigns and organizing plans in nonprofit, social justice, or labor campaigns or organizations.
- Experience with creating curriculum and facilitating interactive training for leadership development and civic engagement.
- Fundraising experience is preferred.
- Relevant life experience may be considered as a substitute for some of the above.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High creativity and strategic action. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the municipal level, including attention to power-building, tactics that influence decision-makers, building effective democratic local organizations, and the use of public narrative and story-telling in campaign organizing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: experienced in active and reflective listening.
- Strong social justice lens and an appetite to undo racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, ableism, homophobia, xenophobia and other forms of oppression.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as varying religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds; including those within the LGBTQ and physically disabled communities.
- Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, solution orientation and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing and changing priorities.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel across the region/state regularly, as well as attending national staff and organizing team retreats.
- An understanding of or aptitude for platforms for shared remote work, including Google Suite, Zoom, and Slack.
- Fluency in English and one or more of the other major languages (i.e., Spanish, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese) preferred.
- Ability to travel to out-of-state meetings for 3-5 days up to two times per year.
- Access to reliable transportation for meetings and events throughout Massachusetts.
- Knowledge of climate issues is a bonus.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. This is a full-time, hybrid job. You will work from a home office and do a significant amount of in-person work throughout Boston.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for the senior organizer position is $59,992 to $70,900, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ members, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.