Bilingual Social Media Coordinator
Cambridge, MA Office or Washington, DC
Type of Job
May 14, 2021
About the job
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental, public health, and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy, and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
UCS is looking for a smart, energetic, social-savvy thinker to serve as the bilingual social media coordinator. This individual will run all our organizational social media accounts, from Twitter, to Facebook, to Instagram, and work with our scientists, organizers, and communications team to raise awareness about our issues and engage the public on our campaigns. This position requires someone who is fluent and able to write and edit in English and Spanish, with a deep understanding of the social media landscape and how to capitalize on the latest memes and trends, a firm grasp of the historical context of racial inequity in the United States and its present-day implications for the issues we work on, and a knack for collaborating well with others.
Under direction of the director of digital engagement, conceptualize and implement social media strategies and tactics to maximize visibility for UCS, our issues, and analysis, engage current and potential supporters in our campaigns, cultivate social media influencers, grow our social media followers, and contribute to campaign impact. The social media coordinator will manage the organization’s social media accounts posting primarily in English with a small (though increasing) portion of content in Spanish.
· Implement the organization’s social media strategies and tactics.
· Manage organizational social media accounts by engaging UCS supporters across various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and new platforms as identified. Write, edit, design, and publish content on social media platforms. Monitor and moderate comments and conversations.
· Manage, develop, and maintain the organizational social media calendar coordinating organizational promotions with development and communications staff.
· Monitor social media for issues that may be bubbling up and have an impact on the organizational reputation. Work with rapid response team to determine if and how to respond.
· Respond to member questions and concerns through social media, coordinating with communications, development, and program teams. Regularly report back relevant issues, member concerns, and trends in the community.
· Maintain and continue to grow an understanding of the historical context of racial inequity in the United States and its present-day implications for our work and messaging.
· Train new staff in social media platforms and monitoring tools, maintain written instructions for staff reference, and monitor staff usage of social media, making recommendations for improvements when necessary.
· Member of the team responsible for implementing Spanish language communications strategy, translates key pieces of content, create original Spanish content for social media promotion.
· Collaborates with communications and program colleagues to develop Spanish language content for multiple social media channels.
· Track trends and viral memes on social media and identify when and how the organization and staff tweeters can best engage.
· Plan and execute livestreaming efforts, including working with programs and development staff to determine the best platform to stream on and helping with the technical logistics.
· Coordinating with web, engagement, and development teams, create and implement opportunities for people to share their activities on social media through share links on UCS webpages, action alerts, and fundraising campaigns.
· Cultivate top social media users and influencers through one-on-one outreach and engagement including relevant Black, Latinx, and other diverse blogs, bloggers, and social media influencers.
· Maintains awareness of role as representative of UCS; ensures activities and statements enhance organizations reputation and credentials among press, public and private sectors; promotes UCS, advances organizational objectives and enhances funding opportunities.
Qualifications and experience
Candidate must be bilingual and have excellent writing and editing skills in both English and Spanish and capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines with ease. Must have a track record of developing effective social media campaigns and strong knowledge of social media best practices. Outstanding attention to detail, creativity, and ability to work well in a team environment and independently is essential. Familiarity with Photoshop or other design software a plus. Knowledge of livestreaming technologies a plus. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. We are looking for a self-starter who is excited to come up with new ideas and figure out how to run with them.
Position requires minimum of three to five years of comparable and relevant online organizing / social media experience in a political or advocacy campaign setting. Strong copywriting and editing experience required. Proven ability to engage online constituents and grow online followers.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA or Washington, DC offices. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $59,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic our staff are working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: June 4th or until filled.