Type of Job
$65,000 - $78,000
Jan 13, 2023
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state and territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. Our mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
As the Benefits Manager you will report to the Associate Vice President of Total Rewards and will develop, implement, administer and maintain benefit programs, policies and procedures. This position supports the diverse and progressive benefit needs of a multi-state workforce. In this role, you will help to ensure our benefit programs are equitable, meet employee needs, comply with legal requirements and are cost effective. Your problem-solving abilities, sense of ownership, and exceptional communication skills will enable your success in this role.
In this role you will:
- Effectively communicate to and educate staff on employee benefit complexities as questions or problems arise; confidentially respond and resolve employee benefit issues and claims problems in a timely manner. Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators involved in the various NWF Employee Benefits programs – working with them as appropriate to maintain/improve program efficiency and develop enhancements as desirable.
- Present NWF Employee Flexible Benefits Program to employees in a clear, concise manner by conducting New Employee Orientation and ongoing group educational opportunities to facilitate employee understanding of benefits program options. Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the NWF’s Total Rewards package.
- Manage and administer NWF's Administrative Leave and Short-Term Disability programs. Accurately communicate NWF policy to employees, discussing their eligibility for payroll continuation based on individual length of service and medical or leave-specific documentation. Communicate and coordinate Family & Medical Leave Act entitlement. Manage and verify accuracy of applicable benefits through the Payroll process. Maintain constant contact with absent employees and physicians to assure extent of disability eligibility. Facilitate employees' application for Long Term Disability, Life Insurance conversions, and Leave of Absence as applicable.
- Manage all aspects of Annual Open Enrollment to include but not limited to benefit administration website, vendor updates, and benefit document revisions.
- Maintain and administer NWF Retiree Benefits to include but not limited to tracking benefit enrollment, retiree communications, managing monthly ACH processing and financial reporting.
- Manage and facilitate daily benefits processing. Handle enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, rollovers, QDROs, distributions, loans, hardships and compliance testing. Oversee maintenance of employee benefits files, maintain group benefits database and update employee payroll records.
- Design and implement various Employee Activities projects and Wellness/Fitness program. Set Annual Budget and maintain program efficiency within budgetary limits.
- Manage NWF's Worker's Compensation program to ensure compliance with various State Workers Comp regulations; including accurate establishment of work-related injury records, timely processing through insurance carrier, continued monitoring of lost-time, and development of "return-to-work" procedures.
- Manage and facilitate the tracking of fringe rate expenses and updating AVP, Total Rewards. Monitor administrative costs of benefits programs and recommend cost containment strategies, including alternative methods for administration and funding. Prepare budgetary recommendations and assist in the monitoring, verifying and reconciling of budgeted funds. Oversee the processing of monthly billings and the preparation of vouchers for payment of administrative fees for all group plans.
- Research employee benefits plans and vendors to identify those that present the best value in coordination with AVP, Total Rewards Implement new benefits programs.
- Ensure compliance with applicable government Ensure timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees.
- Analyze current benefits, evaluating the use, services, coverage, effectiveness, cost, plan experience and competitive trends in benefits programs.
- Perform plan audits. Prepare, collect and organize data for actuarial assessments.
- Stay abreast of emerging trends, developments and regulations as it relates to employee benefits.
- B.S. degree or equivalent, relevant work experience
- At least five years progressive employee benefit experience with specific emphasis on flexible benefit plans and self-insured medical plans
- Strong organization, analytical and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated experience exercising good judgment and ability to handle complex scenarios
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and written
- CEBS certification or World at Work Certified Benefit Professional certification
- Familiarity with Ultimate Kronos Group (UKG) system
- Ability to travel up to 4 times per year
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Location and Work Mode:
The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in in the office, in a hybrid manner, or fully remote, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $65,000-$78,000 , commensurate with experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), and 10 holidays.
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.