Associate Director/Director, Domestic Climate Policy
Type of Job
Minimum compensation: $77,000/$92,000
Apr 13, 2023
About the job
Reports to: Senior Director, Domestic Climate and Energy Policy
Staff reporting to this position: 2–4
Department: Energy and Environment
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $77,000/$92,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
Apply Here: https://www.americanprogress.org/job/associate-director-director-domestic-climate-policy/
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director or Director on the Domestic Climate team in its Energy and Environment department to lead projects and conduct research and analysis related to climate and energy policy. The ideal candidate will have strong management, strategic thinking, coalition-building, writing, and analytical skills, and a commitment to addressing climate change and economic and environmental injustice. The position will report to the Senior Director of Domestic Climate and Energy Policy.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Director or Associate Director will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Lead in identifying and establishing American Progress’ organizational priorities on domestic climate policy.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop and implement relevant legislative and political strategies and campaigns at the national, state, and local levels.
- Leverage American Progress’ research and policy capabilities to drive a narrative and serve as a resource to partners and the public.
- Develop and design policy and product ideas that support the team’s goals and manage research, writing, timelines, and outreach as relevant.
- Manage projects and research and policy staff while supporting an inclusive, supportive, and creative workplace culture.
- Lead and support the development of a range of written products to influence the policy debate on key climate issues, including memos, reports, rapid-response statements, op-eds, and social media.
- Represent American Progress in the media and in external meetings with Capitol Hill staff and coalition partners to advance the organization’s work.
- Continue efforts to expand and broaden the climate community to include a diverse and inclusive group of stakeholders working on the issue.
- Develop and maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- At least six years of relevant professional experience for the Associate Director role, and at least seven to 10 years of relevant professional experience for the Director role. This may include experience in organizing, campaigns, legislative and administrative advocacy, coalition building, relevant graduate studies, or work in related fields.
- A proven knowledge base in domestic climate policy issues.
- Direct supervisory management and leadership experience is required for the Director-level role and a plus for the Associate Director role.
- Experience managing projects and research from start to finish, including managing the work of staff who may or may not be direct reports.
- Experience collaborating with and across diverse progressive coalitions.
- Adept written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to independently plan ahead, prioritize, allocate time, balance projects, and coordinate with internal and external partners.
- Understanding of how environmental issues intersect with racism and economic and social inequality and a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Understanding and willingness to learn how power, privilege, and oppression manifest at the individual, interpersonal, and team levels.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals, in particular progressive values, including environmental and social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion and creating a positive workplace culture.
American Progress offer a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The Associate Director position has a minimum salary of $77,000, and the Director position has a minimum salary of $92,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and preference will be given to applications received by 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday, March 29, 2023.
Short responses to the following questions should be included in the application:
- Please provide specific examples of partners or coalitions you have worked with in past roles.
- Please briefly describe a project that you have managed from start to finish.
- How many total years of management experience do you have?
- How many total years of experience do you have in policy, advocacy, campaigning, organizing, and/or analysis?