Associate Director, Clean Water Supply
Flexible (remote), within PA/NJ/MD
Type of Job
$49,600 – $74,400 depending on experience and qualifications.
Jul 20, 2022
About the job
TITLE: Associate Director, Clean Water Supply
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Clean Water Supply Program
LOCATION: Flexible within Pennsylvania, Maryland, or New Jersey; preference for south-central or southeast PA
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers believes that a future of clean water and healthy rivers for everyone, everywhere is essential. Since 1973, we have protected wild rivers, restored damaged rivers and conserved clean water for people and nature. With headquarters in Washington, D.C., and 300,000 members, supporters and volunteers across the country, we are one of the most trusted and influential river conservation organization in the United States, delivering solutions for a better future. Because life needs rivers. For more information, please visit www.americanrivers.org.
At American Rivers, we embrace and celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities. We seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
American Rivers’ Clean Water Supply program works to ensure all people have access to clean water and a healthy river. We do this by helping municipalities integrate their water management practices, advancing natural infrastructure, and engaging communities that have historically been excluded from decision-making related to clean water.
Associate Directors at American Rivers lead project work and support broader program activities as led by the Directors they report to.
This position will advance American Rivers’ Clean Water Supply program work in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland, with a particular focus on the Delaware River and Susquehanna River basins. The Associate Director will work closely with partner organizations and municipalities to advance clean water policies and practices, with a focus on urban stormwater and natural infrastructure. To achieve this work, the Associate Director will collaborate with partners, coordinate with local, state, regional and national leaders, and engage with communities in a variety of capacities and projects to ensure healthy rivers can provide clean water for everyone. The Associate Director will conduct local outreach, convene partner meetings and deliver presentations throughout the focus area to help achieve these goals. The Associate Director reports to the Director of the Clean Water Supply program in the MidAtlantic, and assists the director, as needed, with administrative tasks including grant writing and reporting.
• Work with cities, towns, and urban environmental groups to build local support of and capacity for investments in clean water.
• Create and lead training programs for local government staff.
• Lead two partner work groups focused on improving stormwater management policies and practices in Pennsylvania and the greater Delaware River watershed. Work will include setting agendas, facilitating regular meetings, taking notes, maintaining and communicating schedules, and coordinating related activities.
• Analyze state and regional clean water policies and present recommendations to partners and decision-makers.
• Participate in regional coalitions as relevant, especially on topics related to urban water policy, clean water funding, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
• Collaborate with Clean Water Supply program team members and American River’s communication staff to highlight local work through the media.
• Represent American Rivers at regional mid-Atlantic based conferences and meetings where appropriate and approved by supervisor.
• Maintain meeting and work schedules to ensure assigned scopes of work achieve deliverables on time.
• Strong passion for protecting and supporting communities’ access to clean water.
• Experience working in coalitions (leadership experience a plus).
• Effective advocate with strong oral/presentation, facilitation, and written communications skills.
• Experience engaging with local community groups and members of the general public.
• Capacity to balance independent, self-motivated work with teamwork and coordination across the organization to advance both local and national goals.
• Experience or education in water management, conservation, environmental education, or a related area. River conservation or natural infrastructure experience a plus.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Experience managing grant deliverables and work products.
• Willingness to travel throughout locations served by the Associate Director position and to occasional meetings and conferences elsewhere in the nation.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience or a degree in a related field with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience.
• Organized and able to meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of the Clean Water Act and understanding of the region’s driving conservation programs is helpful.
The salary for this position is $49,600 – $74,400 depending on experience and qualifications. American Rivers offers full-time employees a generous benefits package that includes health, dental and life insurance; four weeks of paid vacation; 10 paid holidays and 3 floating holidays; 12 days of paid sick leave; and a 3% employer retirement contribution.