Associate Director, Building Innovation Hub
Type of Job
105,000 - 110,000
Aug 26, 2022
About the job
Background on the Building Innovation Hub
The Building Innovation Hub (Hub) helps building industry professionals in and around Washington, DC create and operate high-performing buildings. It is a project of the Institute for Market Transformation (IMT), a nationally recognized nonprofit organization that specializes in driving demand for high performance buildings.
The Hub connects the local building community and provides information, tools, support services, and educational programming. Goals of the Hub include: supporting the community as they navigate the District’s Building Energy Performance Standards (BEPS); meeting the current needs of the building industry; and simultaneously pushing it towards the innovative solutions needed to build and operate high performance, resilient buildings and communities.
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a seasoned professional to champion the on-going growth and long-term success of the Hub. The Associate Director will support the Hub’s Director in implementing a strategic vision to achieve the Hub’s mission and goals. They will collaborate with the local building industry, community members, and other stakeholders to identify and overcome barriers to:
- Advancing high-performance buildings in the DC Metropolitan region;
- Complying with local green building regulations;
- Transitioning to a clean energy supply;
- Achieving equity and economic inclusion through the commercial real estate business;
- Expanding and diversifying the clean energy workforce and available supplier network;
- Supporting local underrepresented, frontline communities to participate in the growing clean energy economy; and
- Assisting traditionally under-resourced building typologies (i.e. affordable multifamily housing, community and nonprofit facilities, houses of worship, senior care communities, etc.) with building improvement projects.
The candidate will have worked in the local commercial real estate, building design, construction, or building operations community and have experience working closely with the communities affected by it; been constrained by these barriers in their own work; gained hard-won insight into these barriers; formed ideas for overcoming the barriers; and be passionate about this exceptional opportunity to catalyze solutions to benefit the DC region building community and frontline communities.
The Associate Director will co-create an expanded outreach strategy and oversee execution of a content strategy that includes resource development, in-person and virtual events, educational programming, blogs, and newsletter content. They will also serve as a principal author of Hub publications, newsletters, articles, tools, and website content, working closely with IMT’s communications team.
Additionally, they will oversee vendors and industry experts hired to assist in content, service, and program development. To ensure the successful delivery of these things, the Associate Director will coordinate with industry partners for co-branded events and resource development, and work to develop an outreach strategy that ensures that all target audiences are reached.
The Associate Director will be responsible for ensuring that programming accelerates market transformation across the DMV region’s building industry–enabling the District to meet its green building and climate commitments and contribute to the success of DC policies including new building codes and the Building Energy Performance Standards.
The Associate Director will report to the Hub’s Director.
- Contribute to the short- and long-term strategies and vision for the Hub.
- Assist in working with, and managing, the Hub’s Advisory Board and Industry Leadership Forum.
- Facilitate conversations and work with a variety of external stakeholders, including community groups and government and local building industry organizations, to incorporate and accommodate diverse perspectives and priorities to inform Hub offerings and outreach.
- Develop strong familiarity with DC and regional policies including building codes and Building Energy Performance Standards.
- Coordinate potential offerings and services with related organizations and agencies such as the Department of Energy & Environment, DC Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU), the DC Green Bank, the Department of Buildings (DOB), and other local building industry organizations.
- Coordination with cities that are a part of the Building Performance Partnership on potential resource sharing and collaboration.
- Engage and grow strong relationships with local real estate professional organizations, companies, individuals and attend industry events to promote the Hub.
- Work to build the Hub’s brand, speaking at events and to reporters.
- Serve as a principal author and editor of Hub publications, newsletters, resources, tools, and web site.
- Oversee internal staff members and/or external partners to ensure successful program and resource development.
- Support fundraising activities for the benefit of the Hub and other IMT programs
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- 8+ years of experience in design, operations, ownership, development, or improvement of buildings or in energy efficiency, green building, real estate, or finance, in and around DC.
- Experience engaging in meaningful collaboration with community groups, community- based organizations, residents, neighborhood groups, ANCs, and advocates that resulted in community-led building projects.
- Has a general understanding of the building industry’s existing workforce landscape, needs, challenges, and opportunities.
- Strong familiarity with the local building industry and market trends.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of building industry stakeholders.
- Proven record of accomplishment in establishing and maintaining partnerships and collaborative relationships and forums.
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to understand, persuade and translate among a wide range of professionals.
- Be able to quickly develop familiarity with relevant fields to tailor the Hub’s messages to those audiences and constructively receive their feedback.
- Results-driven and solutions-oriented.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to synthesize and clearly articulate complex issues.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Demonstrated project management experience and prowess.
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and wear many hats.
- Experience managing staff, consultants and/or projects.
How to Apply
This is a full-time position based in IMT’s Washington, DC office. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the successful candidate must be located in the Washington, D.C. area. The salary range is $105,000 to $110,000 and is commensurate with experience. IMT also offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and writing sample (e.g. article, blog post, report, proposal, or external facing document) to email@example.com. Please write “Associate Director, Building Innovation Hub” in the subject line. Interviews anticipated to begin September 2022 with a proposed start date in Fall 2022.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a trusted, non-partisan nonprofit organization that works to ensure that everyone in the U.S. benefits from high-performing buildings in all facets of their lives. IMT bridges the intersection of business, government, and community priorities to spotlight business practices and advance public policy to improve U.S. buildings. We do this by co-creating and deploying public policy and business practices that drive widespread market action toward improving how we collectively build, design, and operate the spaces where people live, work, learn, connect, and play. To learn more about our work, visit www.imt.org/about.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative, and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. IMT is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across our organization. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have fun along the way.
IMT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.