Associate Attorney, Northeast Regional
New York City
Type of Job
Oct 21, 2021
About the job
Earthjustice is accepting applications for an associate attorney to join our Northeast Regional Office based in New York City. The Associate Attorney will support and collaborate with our team of lawyers and scientists working to support healthy communities and speed the transition from dirty fossil fuels to clean energy solutions in the Northeast region. This position will be located in New York City.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups to engage on the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters is in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Chicago, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Northeast Regional Office is dedicated to protecting public health and ensuring a healthy environment for all in the Northeast; combatting the climate crisis; and securing a swift and equitable transition to zero emissions, 100% clean energy. We focus on matters in the Northeast, and also take on mission-critical work outside of this region. The Northeast Regional team currently consists of sixteen staff people including five Staff Attorneys and two Associate Attorneys.
The Associate Attorney position is a three-year position with the potential for extension, designed to help attorneys who are in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. As Associate Attorneys gain experience, they gradually take on more independent responsibility for their cases, but work throughout their tenure under the supervision of Senior Attorneys, Deputy Managing Attorneys, or the Managing Attorney. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice and with other public interest organizations.
Due to Covid-19, Earthjustice staff are currently working remotely from approved locations through January 18, 2022.
Associate attorneys perform a range of litigation and advocacy-related tasks that can include:
• Conducting legal and factual research and preparing memoranda on issues related to ongoing or potential new cases.
• Reviewing and analyzing administrative records and technical documents.
• Drafting motions, briefs, and other legal and factual documents in support of litigation.
• Participating in proceedings before federal and state courts and agencies.
• Working with clients and experts and learning how to handle press work.
• Hiring and supervising law students who work at Earthjustice as interns or clerks.
• Law school graduate admitted to, or qualified and willing to apply for admission to, the New York State Bar.
• Up to 5 years of legal experience.
• Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
• Strong work ethic and initiative, and sound yet creative judgment.
• Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
• Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
• Commitment to serving the public interest.
• Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
• Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Compensation is based on experience and location.
Salary range in New York, NY: $87,400-$109,900
• One- or two-page cover letter that addresses: 1) aspects of your experience that are relevant to the qualifications listed above; 2) why you are drawn to the work of Earthjustice’s Northeast Regional Office and whether there are particular legal, environmental or justice issues that inspire you; and 3) how your time at Earthjustice would contribute to your career aspirations;
• Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that has not been edited by anyone else;
• Law school transcript; and
• List of three references.
For this position, we are looking to hire a candidate that is available to start in January 2022. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by November 12, 2021. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Earthjustice brings our associate attorneys on board on a quarterly schedule, during the months of January, April, June and September.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.