Associate Attorney, International Program
San Francisco, CA
Type of Job
$82,900 - $104,800
Mar 4, 2021
About the job
Earthjustice is now accepting applications for an associate attorney to join our San Francisco-based International Program. The Associate Attorney will support and collaborate with our team of lawyers and scientists working to speed the transition from dirty fossil fuels to clean energy solutions in key countries around the world.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice wields the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change around the world. Drawing on deep experience in foreign, US and international environmental, energy and human rights law, and foreign and international litigation, we work with partners in South Africa, Indonesia, Australia, Latin America and elsewhere on domestic and international legal advocacy to reduce dependence on dirty fossil fuels and speed the transition to clean energy.
The term for the associate position is three-years with potential for extension. Many use the position as a springboard to other environmental litigation career opportunities. Others are promoted to senior associate and staff attorney positions within Earthjustice. The position will be located in San Francisco.
Associate attorneys perform a range of litigation and advocacy-related tasks that can include:
- Conducting legal and factual research and preparing memoranda on issues related to ongoing or potential new cases.
- Reviewing and analyzing administrative records and technical documents.
- Drafting motions, briefs, and other legal and factual documents in support of litigation.
- Participating in proceedings before federal and international courts and tribunals.
- Working with clients and experts and learning how to handle press work.
- Hiring and supervising law students who work at Earthjustice as interns or clerks.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or qualified and willing to apply for admission to, the California State Bar.
- Up to 5 years of experience.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and initiative, and sound yet creative judgment.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Willingness to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of environmental or international law, experience working in a country other than the United States, and professional fluency in a language other than English.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary range is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $82,900 - $104,800
Interested applicants should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses: 1) aspects of your experience that are relevant to the qualifications listed above; 2) why you are drawn to the work of Earthjustice’s International Program and whether there are particular legal, environmental or justice issues that inspire you; and 3) how your time at Earthjustice would contribute to your career aspirations;
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that has not been edited by anyone else;
- Law school transcript; and
- List of three references.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=og2Oefw4&s=GreenLatinos
For this position, we are looking to hire a candidate that is available to start in June 2021. Please apply by April 1, 2021. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Earthjustice brings our associate attorneys on board on a quarterly schedule during the months of January, April, June and September.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.