Associate Attorney, Gulf Regional
Type of Job
$74,300 - $93,400
May 24, 2022
About the job
Associate Attorney, Gulf Region
The new Gulf Regional office of Earthjustice seeks an Associate Attorney to join our team fighting for a healthy and just Gulf.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, individuals, and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Chicago, Tallahassee, Honolulu, Houston, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Miami and Washington, D.C.
Earthjustice’s new Gulf Regional Office will work across all three of Earthjustice’s core program areas—healthy communities, climate and energy, and lands, oceans and wildlife. In collaboration with our clients and partners, we will fight for clean air and water and to combat unjust pollution burdens; we will fight for an equitable clean energy transition and for climate solutions that work for everyone; and we will fight to protect the magnificent lands, waters and wildlife in the Gulf. Earthjustice has a significant body of work in the Gulf and this new office will expand our capacity in this critical region.
This is an exciting opportunity for an early-career attorney to join a growing team dedicated to delivering meaningful results for the Gulf region.
The Associate Attorney position is a three-year position with the opportunity for extension. Earthjustice’s Associate Attorney program is designed to help attorneys who are in the early stages of their careers develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. As Associate Attorneys gain experience, they gradually take on more independent responsibility for their cases but work throughout their tenure under the supervision of Senior Attorneys, the Deputy Managing Attorney, and the Managing Attorney. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice and with other public interest organizations. More about our associate attorney program can be found here.
This position is located in Houston and supports the work throughout the Gulf region.
Associate attorneys perform a range of work, in partnership with senior attorneys and professional staff, to investigate, develop, and prosecute administrative appeals and litigation including: factual investigation, legal research, case development, record review, client engagement and development, expert evidence and witness development, motions practice and brief writing, oral advocacy, and appellate advocacy.
As associate attorneys gain experience, their case load may include cases for which they have primary responsibility under the supervision of a senior attorney, in addition to matters on which they work in a supporting role with senior attorneys. Specific responsibilities include:
- Working closely with Earthjustice attorneys, scientists, professional staff, and clients to build cases and support policies that serve a diverse set of clients.
- Participating in the full range of tasks involved in administrative advocacy and complex litigation, including factual investigation, legal research and analysis, memo writing, discovery, briefing, and oral advocacy.
- Interacting with clients and work with experts to develop a clear understanding of the facts involved in each case.
- Representing Earthjustice on telephone calls and at meetings with clients, partners, co-counsel, and experts.
- Developing skills required to serve as spokesperson in media.
- Assisting with hiring and supervision of student law clerks and externs.
- Law school graduate with 1-5 years of legal experience and admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the Texas State Bar.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment, initiative, and creativity.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Ability and desire to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- High levels of emotional intelligence.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Compensation is based on experience and location.
Salary Range for Houston, Texas: $76,200 - $93,400
Interested applicants should submit the following via Jobvite: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oOEOjfwj&s=GreenLatinos
- One or two page cover letter that addresses each of the following: (1) aspects of your background that are relevant to the qualifications listed above; (2) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (3) how your time at Earthjustice would contribute to your career aspirations.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- Law school transcript.
For this position, we are looking to hire a candidate who is available to start in September 2022. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by June 12, 2022. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice brings our associate attorneys on board on a quarterly schedule, during the months of January, April, June, and September.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.