Associate Attorney, Florida Regional Office
Miami or Tallahasee, FL or remote from Puerto Rico
Type of Job
Dependent on Experience
Mar 18, 2021
About the job
Earthjustice is looking to hire an Associate Attorney whose docket will include work done in partnership with Puerto Rico community-based organizations, environmental justice groups, and others advancing the rights of disproportionately burdened communities in Puerto Rico. The attorney selected for this position will focus on local enforcement, litigation and other legal advocacy driven by the concerns of communities and partners in Puerto Rico. The Associate will work on cases furthering our clean energy goals in Puerto Rico, as well as work related to clean air, clean water, toxic chemicals, pesticides and waste facilities, and zoning, among other issues of importance in Puerto Rico.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups to engage on the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Chicago, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position will be based in Miami, Tallahassee, or remote from Puerto Rico. To learn more about the Florida Regional Office, click here. Our goal is to produce the highest quality legal work in a diverse, inclusive, supportive, and collegial environment. The Florida Regional Office houses a staff of 14, including 8 attorneys, a research and policy analyst, a communications strategist, 2 litigation assistants, a legal practice manager, and a principal gifts officer. We do work on Puerto Rico matters in close collaboration with the Coal Program. To learn more about the Coal Program, click here.
The Associate Attorney position is a three-year position, with potential for extension. The Associate Attorney program is designed to help attorneys who are in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. As Associate Attorneys gain experience, they gradually take on more independent responsibility for their cases, but work throughout their tenure under the supervision of a Staff Attorney, Deputy Managing Attorney or Managing Attorney. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice and with other public interest organizations.
- Work closely with Staff Attorneys, clients, partners, and experts to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases in a strategic fashion.
- Participate in the full range of tasks involved in complex litigation, including factual investigation, legal research and analysis, discovery, briefing, and oral advocacy.
- Help expand our outreach to and partnerships with community-based groups, environmental justice groups and others advancing the rights of disproportionately burdened communities in Puerto Rico.
- Collaborate in team problem solving, litigation strategy, project management and trial work.
- Law school graduate by summer of 2021 admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the Puerto Rico State Bar and Florida State Bar.
- 0-5 years of experience in clean energy, environmental justice, community organizing, or public interest law is preferred.
- Spanish and English fluency is required.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and initiative, and sound yet creative judgment.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to serving the public interest and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission, including a desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Ability to travel as needed for case work, court appearances and presentations.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary depends on experience and location.
Salary range in Miami or Tallahassee, FL and Puerto Rico: $70,465 - 89,080
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
For litigators and legal advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Associate Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Associate Attorney careers and work online here.
Interested candidates must submit the following via Jobvite:
- One or two page cover letter that addresses each of the following: (1) aspects of your background that are relevant to the qualifications listed above; (2) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission; and (3) how your time at Earthjustice would contribute to your career aspirations; and/or, (4) any experiences you have working with people and communities who have been disproportionately affected by environmental harms or other injustice.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oyfKefwv&s=GreenLatinos
Earthjustice brings our associate attorneys on board on a quarterly schedule during the months of January, April, June and September.
For this position, we are looking to hire a candidate that is available to start in June 2021. Please apply by April 7, 2021. After that, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.